Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just one more reason i hate the michigan governer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Feb 21, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

some of you may remember when i crashed my dads bike. (83 yamaha venture) i paid the tickets i got that next week. 150 for no motorcycle endorsement and 95 for to fast for conditions.

today i got a letter in the mail that because of a new bill the governer passed i have to pay $150 within 30 days and another notice will be mailed in 1 year for another $150. its called a "drive responsibility act"

the thing that pisses me off is this happened back in october and they just passed the bill a few weeks ago.

they included a number to call if i have any questions, and im going to let them have it. the dam government wants me to pay them, but they wont pay me for the [darn] unemployment that im qualifided for.

the governer has done nothing but screwed up this state since she has been in office. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

sorry for the rant /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif but im pissed now because of this /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You need to find out when the law's effective date was.............

That's a messed up situation to put ya in.

3. big83chevy4x4

it said that it was october 1 2003 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I had an accident like a year ago, never got a ticket just the insurance hit, I am still expecting to randomly get something from the state saying they are fining me like $500 or some crap. Not like I could fight them on it if they decided to.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it said that it was october 1 2003 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to say you're screwed........

Of course I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one of TV; I just have nightmares on what I would like to do to them. You need to consult one though. It just doesn't sound American to have the idiots up in the capital passing laws that are retroactive, especially in a case like this.

CONSULT A LAWYER!!!!!!!!!!

6. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

That's [darn] up, I'm not real happy with our new sec. of state right now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifTabs for my boat trailer went from $14 up to 75 BUCKS! cause they are permanent non transferable now. I was planing on getting a new boat sometime this spring or summer so if I want to use it a couple of times before I sell it, I have to buy these [darn] $75 non-transferable plates /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifand then pay another $75 for the new trailer /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ya know what.... i have no sympathy for ya.
    here is why.... oh, and belive me.. im not the law abiding person myself...
    a motorcycle.. weather ya know how ti ride it or not is not a toy IF you do not have the papers to be riding. dont get me wrong, i no longer have my endorsement, and i still ride now and then. bikes are never mine, BUT i never leave an empty parking lot and im not hotrodding it. just putting around so i can stay in practice and to test the adjustmeants i just made for them.
    ya aint got the papers for it dont ride or drive it. because of people like you doing things like that everybody in your area pays more for insurance. and thats my biggest problem with it.

now, i do however agree with BRB, check the effective date on the bill, but personaly i hope its like the day before ya got in the wreck.
    Grant /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. big83chevy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    ya know what.... i have no sympathy for ya.
    here is why.... oh, and belive me.. im not the law abiding person myself...
    a motorcycle.. weather ya know how ti ride it or not is not a toy IF you do not have the papers to be riding. dont get me wrong, i no longer have my endorsement, and i still ride now and then. bikes are never mine, BUT i never leave an empty parking lot and im not hotrodding it. just putting around so i can stay in practice and to test the adjustmeants i just made for them.
    ya aint got the papers for it dont ride or drive it. because of people like you doing things like that everybody in your area pays more for insurance. and thats my biggest problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    first off i know how to handle a bike, ive been rideing for 17 years. the only reason i rode it that day is because i blew the motor in my truck and had no other way to get to work.

if i knew that there was a law that i had to pay the $150 ticket AND $300 to the state i would never would have rode the bike, but there WAS no law when i did this so i don't see how they can go back and get me for it.

gotmut? the secretary of state didn't put that into law, the governer did. i was thinking about getiing an enclosed trailer for my bikes. i better do it before april or ill just use my truck.

9. 84txk5blazer

84txk5blazer Registered Member

they cannot fine you for breking a law that was not ratifitied yet, they can only go after you for increstions post the passing of the law
    ps counter sue their ass off

10. big83chevy4x4

thats what i thought. im going ot talk to a lawer next week.

11. big83chevy4x4

i pulled this from the michigan web site

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627_8667-80280--,00.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Driver Responsibility Program
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On August 11, 2003, Governor Granholm signed into law Public Act 165 of 2003 - known as the driver responsibility law - effective October 1, 2003.

In an effort to promote greater traffic safety, the Michigan Legislature enacted this law to deter potentially dangerous driving behavior, thereby saving lives. New Jersey introduced a driver responsibility program in the mid-1980s. Texas and Michigan launched similar programs in 2003.

As a result, the state of Michigan has begun notifying affected individuals of their payment obligations through correspondence from the Department of Treasury. It is important to note that the revenues collected do not benefit the Department of State. They go to the General Fund with set revenues in excess of $65 million (up to $3.5 million) being directed to a newly created Fire Protection Fund.

Fee payments will NOT be accepted at Secretary of State branch offices.

Additional information on the Driver Responsibility Law can be found below. Information on specific issues can be found in the Related Content area on the right side of this Web page.

The Driver Responsibility Program calls for monetary sanctions for drivers who:

Accumulate seven or more points on their driving records (Category 1), or
    Are convicted of specific qualifying offenses (Category 2)
    Only driving offenses with arrest or incident dates on, or after, October 1, 2003, will be counted. Points accumulated prior to October 1, 2003 are not eligible for consideration under this new law.

Category 1 Offenses

Category 1 offenses, such as speeding, improper turns, and following too closely, are assessed a fee based on the number of points on the driving record, with a required minimum of seven points. The fees assessed begin at $100 and increase by $50 for each additional point above seven points.

7 Points $100
    8 Points $150
    9 Points $200

10 Points $250
    11 Points $300
    12 Points $350

13 Points $400
    14 Points $450
    15 Points $500

Drivers assessed a fee for seven or more points under Category 1 will be assessed only once per year. Category 1 fees will not be assessed in any year in which the number of points on a driving record falls below seven.

Category 2 Offenses

Certain offenses are classified as "qualifying offenses" and carry their own driver responsibility fee independent from the number of points on the driving record. Drivers convicted of qualifying offenses will be assessed a driver responsibility fee of $150, $500 or $1,000 for two consecutive years. The amount is determined by the relative seriousness of the offense. For example:

Drunk Driving (Operating While Intoxicated) - $1,000
    Reckless Driving - $500
    No Proof of Insurance - $150

Points from Category 2 offenses and convictions are NOT counted toward the point total for Category 1.

Multiple driver responsibility fees are assessed if a driver is convicted of multiple qualifying offenses under Category 2.

Driver responsibility fees are assessed for two consecutive years for Category 2 convictions. The second year’s fees will be assessed on the anniversary date of the first year’s fees.

Fee Assessments and Payments

Failure to pay, or arrange to pay, results in an indefinite suspension of a driver’s license until full payment is made.

As with other suspensions, a reinstatement fee of $125 is required before the license is restored.

Fee assessments apply to both licensed and unlicensed drivers.

so i guess im screwed /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif