Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just one more reason why 10 bolts rule!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Sep 16, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I know fully understand why everyone hates 10 bolt rear ends. Mine decided to crap out on me today, havent been off roading in a while too. Well this is how the story goes. Im pulling out of the driveway to take my sister to school and the truck is surging, but the engine isnt making any wierd noises. So im like hmmmm, get down the driveway and put it in gear to go and it just freewheels while making a buzzing noise then goes clank clank boom and starts to move. At this point im thinking WTF. Then it quits moving again and i have to put the damn thing in 4wheel drive to get out of the street and into my driveway. Well im a cussin and kicken my truck try to figure out whats wrong then finally decide to give up cause i need to get to school. So i get my moms car and go. Well i come home at 12:30 cause im special and get done early and start work on removing the drive shaft and plugging the slip yoke hole in the back so i can drive it into my dad's shop. Well i get it all plugged up and begin to drive it and pretty soon both of the damn rear wheels start walkin out of the damn axle housing. so i stop jack the damn thing up push the wheels in and park on the side of the road and walk home and call a tow truck. So i geuss i have to spend my money i was saving for a motor on a friegen 14 bolt full floater, because there is no way in hell im buying another God forsaken 10 bolt. Gotta love those 1/2 ton axles /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

oh man that's rough! 14bFFs aren't that expensive though.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You will have to upgrade the front axle as well, or at least the outers, unless you are going to run 6 lug up front and 8 lug in the rear, plus finding 8 lug rims and tires.

I hate to be a party pooper, but just giving you a heads up of possible additional costs.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

yeah i know, i think there is a place around here when i can get a D60 and a 14B for cheap, just gotta find it. Plus i really dont want to buy new wheels cause i had to buy new ones when i got my truck cause the old ones didnt allow the studs to go through enough, and i have new 15" tires. What to do What to do.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like ya might just haveta see if the local used wheel dealer will swap ya some 8 bolter rims.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can run 8 lug 15" steel wheels. you'll need to grind the calipers up front but you won't have to buy new rubber.

Rene

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Here is what is left of my carrier
    [​IMG]
    Gotta Love those Gov-Locs!

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Damn, thats a nice pile of.........scrap metal.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

hell ya, cant wait to see what the pumpkin looks like as soon as i get it on a rack at work. I cant believe GM wants over $1000 just in parts to fix that rear end. Looks like im going 14B FF, just gotta make it 6 lug.

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> </font color> is that a stick of dynamite to the right???

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

is that the origonal gasket /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

nope, thats the brush handle from the solvent tank
    MJ, i changed the diff fluid a few thousand miles ago, and no that is not the original gasket.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Congratulations, you win the prize for the most destroyed carrier that I've ever seen... I can't imagine what could possibly cause that magnitude of carnage...

Hope you don't mind, i had to share this with the IFS forum on ORC. </font color>

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

cool
    most guys would just silly putty the cover back on but you went the extra mile for the OEM gasket

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is my new wallpaper.../forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Damn is that thing fragged!!!

Rene

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that is trashed /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You think maybe some superglue will fix that? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Holy crap.. I see blown diffs on a regular basis and that has got to be the most peices I have ever seen come out of a diff.
    Kinda makes ya wonder why they call em grenade locs. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    I just had to save that pic.

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Damn, I've seen jigsaw puzzles with less pieces. Wow as others have stated that is the most fragged diff I have ever seen. It's kinda /forums/images/icons/cool.gif in a way (trophy), although the cash outlay to fix it is going to suck /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I've heard JB weld works wonders! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's a most impressive display of physics! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif What do the ring and pinion look like? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif