Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just one year ago

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75k5, Jul 8, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a little over a year ago I had just finished paint and assembling the 75, wow what can happen in a year /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

On my 4th motor, killed two 14 bolts, numerous driveshafts, alot of cracks in the frame "one that cracked it in 1/2 out back. 2 fuel tanks a couple of miles of hose 5 or more sets of lights and 3 sets of fenders...

leads me to stippping the the truck and using what is left for the buggy /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[​IMG]

just need to yank the motor and get the chassis and cab out of here..then in a month a new tube chassis arrives
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Is the windshield frame still good?

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Sheesh! Where do find the time to build the truck, wheel it, break it, repair it, wheel it again, repair it again, not to mention finding and installing 4 engines, 2 14 bolts, and a bunch of driveshafts? Is there enough hours/days in a year to do all that, plus eat, work, and sleep?

Dunno how ya do it!

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Shawn is still young, he will feel it in 10 years /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    Sheesh! Where do find the time to build the truck, wheel it, break it, repair it, wheel it again, repair it again, not to mention finding and installing 4 engines, 2 14 bolts, and a bunch of driveshafts? Is there enough hours/days in a year to do all that, plus eat, work, and sleep?

Dunno how ya do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

dont forget about all the work I have done on the 83 and the 86..to think I am looking for a 1st gen and trying to build a buggy /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

I left my day job so now I can wrench all day /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

but I still have my cleaning accounts so that keep me busy too..

6. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the windshield frame still good?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep it is rust free and in decent shape, pm me for any more info, or to get my # /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Shawn is still young, he will feel it in 10 years /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Amen to that! I feel and move like an 80 year old man... My Grandfather used to say, "It's not the miles you've traveled, it's the road you traveled on..."

8. BadDog

Shawn, not bashing on you, but IMO, your problem (and others as well) can be summed up as "you don't have any focus on what you want." Or maybe more accurate, "You don't seem to realize that many of the things you want are diametrically opposed and can not reasonably exist all at the same time in one place."

For instance, do you want a nice, shiny, straight truck that looks good at the show, cruise night, and on a date, but may be called a "poser" by "real wheelers? That's what you built first.

Or do you want a daily driver that is a fairly capable wheeler but really don't want more than "Arizona Pinstrips" to spoil the look? Lots of guys on CK5 are in this category.

Or do you want a serious wheeler that barely does ok as a daily? Marv's green K5 is at the hard core end of this category, and my "family 1-ton K5" is at the soft-core end, body damage is fine as long as it's still relatively unlikely to drop pieces along the road side.

Or a hard core dedicated off-road rig that should never see the road, but frankly doesn't need one? My truggy and Marv's new buggy are in this category. And several others in the "serious wheeler" group are drifting this way, or already arrived and just didn't realize it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Or a drag exhibition truck to do burn outs? This seems to be important given you apparent love of "neutral drops" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and burn-outs. Not a good idea with $300 each tires and the leverage they provide killing everything upstream from 14FFs to Th400s and so on. For this you would be better with a muscle car or 2WD pickup (maybe lowered) with big street meats on the back.

Any of these can be reasonably had, and compromises can allow you to shift around between a couple of them, but you just can't have something that is good at (or will even survive) all of them without a butt-load of money, time, inconvenience, and unobtainium parts. Even if you invest all of this, then there will still be compromises involved and a lot of "maintenance" to prevent degradation from use. Best to figure out what you really value, accept the compromises, and go for it. It's important to realize the realistic compromises that are required along with the resulting limitations, and not go beyond them if you're not ready to accept the consequences in money, time, and inconvenience.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bit of a burn, but well meant I think. Mostly on target IMO.

Rene

10. BadDog

Absolutely well meant. I tried to make sure it didn't come off as hostile or flaming in any way. Just an observation on what seems to cause most of the problems people experience dealing with these trucks...

[Edit] BTW, I'm not down on anyone in any of those categories I listed. At one time or another I've had vehicles in every one of those categories and loved fooling around with them, I just didn't try to cross them over too much...

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I still have a truck in one of those catagories...my problem is deciding which catagory. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So far it's a complete compromise vehicle that isn't spectactularly great at anything, but OK at most things (except nuetral drops)

Fortunately it takes me so long to save for the next mod I have a lot of time to think it through and change my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rene

12. supersize75k5

that is the same thing I think, geeze the main reason I wanted to buy a home was to have three of those..

rock krawler, 1st gen 2wd and a daily driver k5 that is still capable, then I need to get the crew cab off my buddy and get rid of the suburban..the sub has nothing to do with any of my plans..unless I want 6 kids and then I could not have 6 rigs /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

I had the poser, then I made it inbetween and just as I reached the capable truggy mode I ripped it apart to build a buggy /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I am trying to get my head strait, a year ago I could not have 3 trucks, now I can afford to build a buggy and when it is done I will keep it in storage next to my other piles of parts.

the 86 will hopfully fulfill my wants and needs right now and while I am trying to build a buggy I can still take it out and do some light stuff. "locked front and rear with 1 ton eaton and d44" look out curbs /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Just sucks I didnt keep the 74 nice as I put so much love into it, I dont feel any feeling for the 86 however...It should be done as soon as I locate the seats I want and then I can devote sometime to find a nice 2wd 1st gen for my go fast wnants and needs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I hope it at least sounds like I have some direction? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for the advice though..just 9 months to late for me to use it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

13. supersize75k5

that is the same thing I think, geeze the main reason I wanted to buy a home was to have three of those..

rock krawler, 1st gen 2wd and a daily driver k5 that is still capable, then I need to get the crew cab off my buddy and get rid of the suburban..the sub has nothing to do with any of my plans..unless I want 6 kids and then I could not have 6 rigs /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

I had the poser, then I made it inbetween and just as I reached the capable truggy mode I ripped it apart to build a buggy /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I am trying to get my head strait, a year ago I could not have 3 trucks, now I can afford to build a buggy and when it is done I will keep it in storage next to my other piles of parts.

the 86 will hopfully fulfill my wants and needs right now and while I am trying to build a buggy I can still take it out and do some light stuff. "locked front and rear with 1 ton eaton and d44" look out curbs /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Just sucks I didnt keep the 74 nice as I put so much love into it, I dont feel any feeling for the 86 however...It should be done as soon as I locate the seats I want and then I can devote sometime to find a nice 2wd 1st gen for my go fast wnants and needs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I hope it at least sounds like I have some direction? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for the advice though..just 9 months to late for me to use it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

p.s.

[​IMG]

this is my vision with the 1st gen...just black and silver, clean and simple with a crate 502 and a t-400...and oh yea..micky's /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

My friend has this one but he does not want to sell it to me as long as I own a sawsaw or like going off the pavement /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

14. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My friend has this one but he does not want to sell it to me as long as I own a sawsaw or like going off the pavement

[/ QUOTE ]

smart man! j/k! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. pauly383

Shawn its not exactly what you want , but in todays paper :

1975 Chevy Shortbed 3 spd stick, and alloys , 6 cyl ( to be removed ) $ 1985.00 great shape 480-539-5682

69 chevy P/U ps/at/350 indigo blue centerlines new tires and interior $ 4500.00
    480-722-2966

Make good 2wd go fast trucks
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. supersize75k5

bah

how about taking the crew cab and tossing it a 540 merlin motor..go fast and tow

..we can dream cant we..? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. pauly383

18. supersize75k5

bag justt toosd on 22's and cld it a day 72'ss are pimpp

bee5r is a fun timm

19. supersize75k5

o broyhrt this sucks to sce this when you are frunk just walj away from he sawaw

20. supersize75k5

cab tou wake up to a drunk sel it aredy jusr do it