Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just orderd the lift!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Nov 9, 2004.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

just orderd the tuff country 4" ez-ride. but have some questions, i know the story on the drive shafts maybe it will work and maybe it wont. now what do i do about the sway bar keep in mind this is a daily driver, but do really need it. also i need shocks and i am going to get some gabriels and i am putting ferd towers on so what size should i get and can i leave the rear alone. i can make a cross member and would want to but again what size shock would you recomend. thanks for the help and sorry for the length of the post! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

3. screamer*145

For all four shocks? and what travle are they! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I believe they were 12.5" travel. You will need to mount those with the Ford towers in the front and a different rear mounts. But you were planning that anyhow.

Also, running with the swaybar off didn't make a huge difference on my K5... You could try the ORD disconnects if you want to leave it on..

And on your driveshafts.. You can probably get away with doing nothing. In the front if the stock one is too short, you could run a driveshaft spacer available at most places... The rear should be fine unless you get bad vibes.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

12.53" travel. They will fit in stock rear mounts, that's what they were designed for.

If running without your swaybar didn't increase flex dramatically, your springs have to be VERY stiff.

6. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    12.53" travel. They will fit in stock rear mounts, that's what they were designed for.

[/ QUOTE ]

The listing on the Gab site has them for a 4" lift.... They bottomed out under compression in the rear of my 86...

[ QUOTE ]
    If running without your swaybar didn't increase flex dramatically, your springs have to be VERY stiff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant i didn't notice a huge difference in road handling with the sway bar removed. My springs flex/flexed quite nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. screamer*145

Forgive me I am kind of confused with the rear shock thing should i 12.53 in the stock location or build the cross member what would give more flex and would i need a longer shock then the 12.53 for the cross member option? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Emmettology 101

I suggest you move the mounts... The best way to find the optimum placement for the shock is to cycle the suspension without the shock installed. Find out what you mesaurements are for full droop and fully compressed between the stock shock mounts. Then measure the shock and see how much you will need. That will tell you if you need to make a new mount. Mine bottomed out and could've used a higher top mount..

With your 4" lift, you may be able to get away with mounting them in the stock location, but I think you'll bottom out more than i did with my 3" block and 2"(roughly) add-a-leaf...

9. screamer*145

Dose any one else have any ideas on how to set up the rear shock please let me know!

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cheapy me , I have the Gabriels in the stock rear mounts with good springs and a shackle flip , with nearly 5.5 inches rear lift . I have yet to have a problem . I even took the original kit rear shocks and put those up front for temporary until I get Ford towers and 2 more Gabriels . I have run one upside down too , since I have yet to move my drivers side mount after the flip , and that presents no problem either /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

to help w/ the drive shafts you can lower the t-case. If you look where it mounts to the frame up above the rails there are spacers between the frame and bolts. You can take these spacers out and move them between the to the bottom of the frame and the t-case to lower it down a little. Its not much but every little bit helps. Nick /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. screamer*145

Now what about the brake line? what was that napa number /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif