Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Ordered New GM Crate 350-290 HP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by df, Sep 30, 2004.

1. df

df Registered Member

Is anyone familar with this engine? According to Dealership it is new to the market. Supposed to be able to transfer everything from old 305. What should I replace for new engine? ie; water pump, etc?
    Thx

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Definitely the water pump & thermostat. Also if your using the same radiator, get it cleaned out by a radiator shop. If I'm putting a new motor in, I don't like the coolant passages getting yucked up from old stuff.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Definitely the water pump & thermostat. Also if your using the same radiator, get it cleaned out by a radiator shop. If I'm putting a new motor in, I don't like the coolant passages getting yucked up from old stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, the cooling system overhaul is a MUST!

I would suggest doing a complete tune up and replacing all of the filters, hoses and belts.

4. df

df Registered Member

I installed a new radiator in November of 04 and have driven maybe 3-4 K since. Will that work? Whats the deal witht the flywheel? needs to be ground down supposdly?

thx

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

You just installed the new rad. in Nov. of 04? I thought it was only Oct. 04 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Anyway, just flush out the rad. real good with the garden hose until only clear water comes out. I agree with the new hoses, belts, h2o pump, and T-stat.
    I don't know about grinding the flywheel, unless you have a manual trans and then it gets refaced. But I had to replace my flywheel and it only ran about $70 new, so you may be better off just picking up a new one for your new application.
    Where in NY are you?

6. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

I did the about the same a year ago. You may need to replace the distrib.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

cool! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif i've been eyein that motor. post up when you get it running and let us know what you think of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My crazy friend just put in a 350 zz4 in his YJ wow does that thing move 355hp and 404lb of torque! and this is why we call him crazy, taking his stock yj and doing this
    Crazy Click here