Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just ordered some steel for Rock Sliders today....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Zeus33rd, May 30, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just ordered a 20' stick of 2X2X1/4" tube. It should be here tommorrow, Then I'll start workin out a design. I'm kinda leaning towards something similar to these...
    http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/ForSale/Docs/NerfBar_HowTo.shtml#Tech
    I'll keep ya'all posted on progress. When I get something finished, I'll post pics to see what ya'all think. If all is good, then I'll order up some more steel and put out a few for those that were interested. I might also make a set for the raffle at Blazer Fest.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds good..Let me know when you finsh...Dan

3. Zeus33rd

Also, Since I had to actually order steel, And due to a couple of other things, The price I quoted awhile back in the other post will most likely go up. Should be no more than $100 or so a set.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Where did you order the steel from? And also, yeah, I was talking about the 700 tranny from the other thread. I don't know yet if I will need it or not. I'm taking the K5 in tomorrow to see if I can the vibration narrowed down.

5. Priest

Priest Registered Member

I made a set exactly like Rogers for my 4Runner. I think you'll find that .250 wall is going to be a bit to heavy and difficult to work with. I used .120 wall as most of the guys do when building these things and it is easily enough to take the weight of the truck. You'll probably use a little more than 20'. I think I ended up using about 26' or so of material for mine and they are pretty damn heavy so I can only imagine what they would be like made out of .250. If you want pics or any measurements let me know.... Oh, and mine are 1.5" square. Let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to help with.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

.120 is enough? Interesting.

I know .120 is enough for the roll-cage.

I thought for sure it would need some .250 . Because of the possible single point of contact. Can you hi-lift the .120 wall? If so, that would be good enogh for me...

Sheesh... another project has been started!

7. Zeus33rd

I ordered the steel from work, We have huge deliveries of steel 2 or 3 times a week. Also, I work with .250 wall tube all day everyday. It is easier for me to work with than the thinner .120. We also use the 2X2 .120 wall tube at work....It dents if you hit it hard enuff with a ball peen hammer. Not what I want for rock sliders. I don't care if it gets scrathed and gouged by rocks, but dents I dont want. I can wack on a piece of .250 wall all day long and it won't bend or dent. When I get a set of sliders made up for my truck, I'm going to lift the side of the truck off the ground by the sliders with the forklift at work as a test. I wouldn't try that with .120 wall. I'll take pics and keep ya'all updated.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That is my take on the .120 vs .250 wall too.

Thanks for the info.

TO

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

.250 wall huh? Those are going to be heavy. A slider will take impacts, but not like hitting it with a hammer..120 wall should be perfect, maybe even .190 but .250 there is just to much weight hang on that frame, even if you tie it to the body. The picture even shoms it be lift off by them. Not talking you down man in any way, just maybe tring to give you a better idea

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The ones I just made are 1.75x.140" pipe.They are heavy!I dont think I will dent or bend them.

Gonna take pics this weekend.

11. Zeus33rd

Hmmmm....Well, my boss forgot to older any steel today....LOL! So I can still modify my order if I want. Ya'all really think that somethin closer to .190 or even like .140 would be more appropriate? Ugh....After seein that .120 wall dent after wackin it with a hammer....Well, I suppose I could put together a set with the .120 wall stuff and see what happens. We have probably 500-600 feet of that stuff already, so there wouldn't be any waiting involved....Let me know what ya'all think.

12. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Try the .120 if ya got it. If you don't like it the try something else. I'll bet you like it though.

13. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Like Rockin said, give the .120 wall a try. Keep in mind that a rock slider is going to give or "flex" when you hit it. So the impact is going to be different than setting it on the floor and striking it with a hammer. The idea when you mount these things is that when you do end up on it, it will flex up and come in contact with the pinch weld of the body thus distributing the load across the body of the vehicle. If you start looking around most of the companies that mfg. these things use .120 wall (usually round tube though, All Pro, JP Off Road, RockMeBumpers, Sillyfab, etc.). Mine will easily allow you to lift vehicle off the ground with a hylift (2nd Generation 4Runner, not quite as heavy as a K5 but closer than you might think). Build em', if you don't like 'em then sell 'em.

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status