Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just ordered the crossover parts, couple of questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BurbinOR, Apr 15, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Stephen, you were on the other line, and the very helpful woman that took my order answered my questions quite well............but forgot to ask her -

1. the nut that holds the pitman arm onto the AGR steering box, will my current 4 wheel drive box nut fit?
    2. steering pump - I understand the AGR ones are basically rebuilt stock units, and I have no problems with my current pump, so do you feel it will be fine driving the AGR box?
    3. studs - I ordered a set of 4, do you have them in stock or be able to get them by the time the order ships (she said later this week the kit will ship)?
    4. torque for both tie rod ends nuts (actually the pitman arm ends) - seem to remember 60 lb/ft, confirm please
    5. do you recommend doing anything special/replacing the rag joint? Seems fine but...............

Thanks for the great customer service. Look forward to the install and the improvement.

Now if you only would help me with a T350 doubler.........../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The 2wd and 4wd shafts use different arrangements so the hardware won't crossover. I think you'll have to look at a parts store, dealership or junkyard. That may be a common thread but a jam nut that big can be hard to find so i think you're best off looking for the application specific part.
    AGR messes with the pressures a little bit in their boxes but for a non Ram application you should be fine with the stock pump.
    Studs for the D60 crossover are tough right now, our source dried up on them and I haven't found a good replacement yet. I would start evaluating your factory studs because we may not have them, I haven't checked it out for sure in the last few days.
    Don't remember the torque on the jam nuts, 60 doesn't sound too bad but I'd have to look it up to be sure. I usually just tighten them up tight but I realize that means nothing if you don't do it all the time.
    You might look at replacing the rag joint, or maybe carry another old one for a spare, I've seen a couple of them broken and it makes for a difficult recovery. Generally if it's in good shape it's not a big deal.
    Other than that a power steering cooler might be wise, you can use the steering harder with the crossover and some have had heat problems. I'd also use a premium quality fluid like valvoline synthetic. These type fluids seem to work best in hard use.
    Steering box brace, and/or weld in repair kit?

Maybe dual batteries for your winch since the most capable vehicles usually end up being the winchmeister and you're getting there?

3. Stephen

The 2wd and 4wd shafts use different arrangements so the hardware won't crossover. I think you'll have to look at a parts store, dealership or junkyard. That may be a common thread but a jam nut that big can be hard to find so i think you're best off looking for the application specific part.
    AGR messes with the pressures a little bit in their boxes but for a non Ram application you should be fine with the stock pump.
    Studs for the D60 crossover are tough right now, our source dried up on them and I haven't found a good replacement yet. I would start evaluating your factory studs because we may not have them, I haven't checked it out for sure in the last few days.
    Don't remember the torque on the jam nuts, 60 doesn't sound too bad but I'd have to look it up to be sure. I usually just tighten them up tight but I realize that means nothing if you don't do it all the time.
    You might look at replacing the rag joint, or maybe carry another old one for a spare, I've seen a couple of them broken and it makes for a difficult recovery. Generally if it's in good shape it's not a big deal.
    Other than that a power steering cooler might be wise, you can use the steering harder with the crossover and some have had heat problems. I'd also use a premium quality fluid like valvoline synthetic. These type fluids seem to work best in hard use.
    Steering box brace, and/or weld in repair kit?

Maybe dual batteries for your winch since the most capable vehicles usually end up being the winchmeister and you're getting there?
    I'll help you with something better than a TH350 version Doubler, but then we've been over that before :-)

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Problem is the 'factory studs' are gone, as I have a 4" raised steering block with the longer studs. I'll find some, not in a mad hurry so no biggie if you can't find them.

Rag joint - is that a dealership item? Since my truck is a '79, would a newer year rag joint work?

I'd like to run a cooler - does it matter what order I run the cooler in regards to the pressure? Or should I do it off the 'exhaust' of the steering box-to-the-cooler-back to the pump?

Already have the steering box brace (YOURS) and weld in kit. All set there.

Dual batteries is a good recommendation. It's on my list. Right now the WranglerNW alternator (135 amp) does a good job but then again haven't spent a half hour running the winch.

Thanks for the advice and the great products! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Stephen

We talked about this on the phone but others might use the info here.
    We have the studs in stock now, some mysteriously appeared here but we have plenty to go for a good while, no problem.

Not sure where to source a new rag joint, dealer would be a sure source but sometimes parts stores surprise you with that stuff too. I don't know of any year variations in the rag joint but there could be so check it carefully if you use a newer one.

Cooler goes in the low pressure return line between the box and the pump reservior.