Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just out for a little drive in Midtown Manhattan...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 12, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Oooops...

SunkenMinivanSide.jpg

SunkenMinivanFront1.jpg

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Did they find Jimmy Hoffa under there?

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

What kind of panel was that?

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It's just a big steel plate they put down over holes in the street. They (utilities/city) often have to cut up and dig into the street to do work, so they close half the road and do it at night, then cover the work with those steel plates for the day to avoid interrupting daytime traffic.
    The city has rules and standards about laying them down and securing them, but a lot of companies just drop them and blow off the proper way to secure them. I have a feeling who ever laid that one down will not blow it off anymore...

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Have they ever had problems with one of those plates becoming electrofied and shocking a pedestrian due to shoddy grounding work underneath when doing electrical work? I read a few news reports earlier this year where in some cities a few people's pets got electrocuted because they stepped on the cover for electrical boxes that were so poorly grounded the box's cover became electrified.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

I got one of those at work about ten years ago. Maintenance super gave me a 1/2" thick 4' by 8' sheet of steel. I'm gonna make a nice welding table out'a it when I get my building assembled!

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, the manhole covers around here are "Step on at your own risk". A dog was electrocuted last year or earlier this year, then a young woman.

I don't think I've heard about these plates becoming charged, but it wouldn't surprise me at all, most of the work under them is telecommunications or electric utility. I walk on them all the time without even thinking about it, now that you've mentioned it I'm going to think about it every time I go near one :haha: :haha: :eek1: :eek1: <---- me stepping on one in the rain...

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Doesn't surprise me then. Dad tells me that Verizon around here likes to spend as little as they possibly can on maintenance and upkeep, and just wait for stuff to completely fail or wear out before having him or his co-workers fix it.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like the companies name and a number on the plates. Should make it easy for the lawyers. :wink1:

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I just have this image of you hopping onto the plate so you don't ground yourself and then hopping off the other side :haha: :haha:

I think I ate too much at lunch - everything is funny now :D

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Boston....

It was in and around Boston where the pets got electrocuted and a few people got shocked from the manhole covers..one was a parking meter,a guy went to put a quarter in and got zapped!...they supposedly had an "investigation",and everything supposedly checked out OK now..we'll see I guess..

I hate those steel plates they use..great for slashing your tires--I've NEVER seen them put asphalt over the edges to secure them around here..they would rather see the razor sharp edge slice your tires..they suck when its raining too--dont hit the brakes while your going over one,or the throttle either,unless you want to do a 360..! :mad: :crazy: