Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Out of Curiousity

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SOR K5, May 2, 2007.

1. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

Ok....I'm not that much of a noob to know that a K5 is a K5...whether it be a Chevy or a GMC. But can anyone tell me if there are seriously any differences between a Chevy and a GMC besides the Badging? I had some Blazer club guy flip me crap for having a GMC Jimmy and that it wasn't "the same" as a blazer. If you remove the badges, don't you have the same vehicle? Seemed to be like the guy was just trying to be a Chevy Nazi or something.

2. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Punch him in the mouth...

3. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

Seriously....I wanted to

4. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

When dealing with morons like that, its not worth even arguing with them. Polity ask him to educate you on the differences of why a Blazer is any better than a Jimmy. In my opinion the GM's have ALWAYS been, and still are more refined than the Chevys and have better lookin interiors and grills anyway. And because of that, the GM's are usually just a little more money.

5. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

I hear ya there....and it was just weird how he was spouting off. Truly one that thinks if he believed in something hard enough...it might come true. Actually made you question if there was some "hidden" difference. Funny now to think about it.

6. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

all the same to me. i've bought trucks thinking they were gmc's and gotten chevy's the people just never looked at the title i guess. not that it really matters. it all went to chevy anyhow.

7. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i guess you could always go price em and see what costs more. thinkit's gmc if i remember right. maybe he thinks his truck was just the best of both worlds. idk

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Except for the front grill theyve been the same since well ever... Extremly minor differances but nothing noticable and nothing to make a gmc more refined

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Where in Orange County are you? Mabye I've seen your jimmy around? lol didn't sound right.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GMC is higher in the lineup than Chevy.

This is division hierarchy, just like Cadillac being the top end, Buicks, Olds, Pontiac and so on. (not necessarily in that order, just that each division has a different place in the lineup)

GMC and Chev though, for our purposes, it's cosmetic. Grille, trim options, badging differences. You've got the same drivetrain, frame, body, etc. Everything everyone on this site already knows. :)

I don't know about new, off the lot, but I'd expect the GMC Jimmy base price to be higher compared to the same Chev. Tell the club goon that yours is better: A Jimmy is more rare, therefore must be worth more than the dime a dozen Blazer.

11. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

LOL....My Jimmy does get around....still doesn't sound right. I live in Santa Ana and work in Fullerton. We've never met but I've actually referred a couple of people to you and your wife's site. I do mortgages based out of a brokerage in Fullerton.

12. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

As to the other responses:

I have noticed that the GMC's do price out a bit more off the lot (same options). I was along the same lines to understand that it was just badges and trim. I just found out the club guy I was taking to bought his Blazer from a collector and hasn't so much as put a cloth to it. Truly bought and not built. Doesn't surprise me that he was spouting off about something he knows nothing about now.

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Awesome, very local, my office is in Huntington Beach, but I live in Orange.

14. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

Awesome man. I will definitely have to do that and drop you a line as soon as I'm signed up.

15. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

some people don't surprise me any. they talk about their rigs like they built them new. but they have no idea what they're talkin bout. i don't know it all but i know alot about my Blazer. i've pretty much built everything on it. guess now it's it's on to the front and rear end.

16. Kp

Kp 1/2 ton status

GMC's are "professional grade" so they must be better.

17. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

I would agree, and to me it makes no sense because the way I learn the most about my vehicles is by doing a lot of the work myself. I'm not a pro by any means, but I can certainly turn a few wrenches and know the way things work.

18. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

Nice....I could definitely agree with that.....but Blazer Guy would argue what's better...."Professional Grade" or "Like a Rock?"

19. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

Like a Rock FTW. lmao unless you're in the water. then you don't wanna be a rock

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

GMC and Chevy trucks just came from separate origins, evolved into the same.
    Buuuuut, if you look at the brand new PUs, you can get the 6.2gasser with GMC Denali. Not available from Chevy.
    :D