Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just painted my K5 *Update at bottom*

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by SF87K5, Nov 17, 2004.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Well I borke down and sanded and painted my K5. I had bad surface rust on the roof and alot of it on the hood. As I was painting it the wife said just paint the whole thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Gota love her. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Just remember this is only one coat of paint. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here are some pics before I painted it. You can see the rust I was talking about in them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is how it all came out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is where I ran out of paint.
    [​IMG]

I will be getting more paint to finish the passanger side door and to put a second coat on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Re: Just painted my K5

Like new! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

MINI ME!!! STOP HUMPING THE TIRE!!!

[​IMG]

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

He is checking to see if the tire is on there good. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Damn Danny that looks good as hell, you may have motivated me to go out and redo mine. very nice /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

how bad was the rust on your roof?

it wsa so bad on my '88, the only thing the wire wheel and/or grinder did was make the rust shiny.

it was so hard i had to sand blast to get the tough scale off.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rattle can or gun? You painted over the factory trim. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I had to use 80 grade sand paper to get the rust off the roof.
    I use rattle can with the lil sray handle thingy. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Yeah I did that to the trim cuz i wanted to see what it would look like all white. I am going to take the trim off and touch up those spots. Just have to figure out how to get that crappy trim off. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I was thinking about taking the pliers and pulling it off. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Looks good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

take a heat gun, or a good hair dryer(up on high all the way) and it will come right off, very very easy, if you do it with a hair dryer it will take alot longer but as long as it getts hot enough it will work. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I did that to the trim cuz i wanted to see what it would look like all white. I am going to take the trim off and touch up those spots. Just have to figure out how to get that crappy trim off. I was thinking about taking the pliers and pulling it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I used what pliers to take mine off, plus a few rust patches came with it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info on my trim guys. I will have to wait a while before I can get back to pulling the trim off. I just had my apendix taken out last night, so I am out of comission for a couple weeks.

14. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Well I finally finished my pass side door today. I also got a new toy today to help with the painting of my rig.
    [​IMG]
    I have 4 pads of 60, 80, 120, 180, and 240 grade sand paper with it. Got it from Harbor Freight for $14.99 on sale. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif As long as it last long enought to sand my k5 and repaint it. The sander would have been worth $14.99. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now I have a question about what grade sand paper do I use to sand out the rought spots and the runs with. Do I use the 80 grade or the 120 grade? Remember this is a daily drive/ trail rig, and I am using auto gloss white Rustolium spray can paint. I will be doing at least 4 coats total including the coat thats on it now.

Thanks for your guys & gals help.