Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just passed my ham raido license test

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by arq, Oct 16, 2004.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it was actually a couple nights ago. i am(or waiting for)official technical license call sign. it should be a few days for that. turns out that 2 people from were i work are active hamsters /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and both maintain some repeaters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

just have to get a radio now. what do you guys think of the kenwood TH-G707 ?. I want something with dual band.

ARQ.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Congratulations . The test was pretty easy huh I must admit I don't talk much with my other intrest taking priority , but I have some fond memories of making radio stuff with my dad . I am KD7GWD , my wife is AB7NS , and she is VE /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Congrats on passing the test. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

The Kenwood 707 is a bit pricey for my blood but it is an excellent radio. There are a ton of dualbanders out there. Just find the one with the features you like and enjoy.

AD5OU

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Congratulations!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

KG6JLI

5. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Congratulations!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

KG6JLI

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ditto here... I have to renew next year...GOD has it been 10 years?
    Ever think of using a dual band HT and installing a stand in your console? I have an old Ft530 Yaesu and I love being able to take it with me by pulling the power cord and twisting the BNC for the antenna...slap on your DuCKY and you're ready to go. Having it in the Suburban charging when not in use, and running a 50 (remember QRT is ALWAYS best) watt dual band amp AND a 3-8 dB gain antenna, I do just as well as most dual band mobiles, and it far less likely to be stolen if you have it on you!
    Try 6 meters, it's fun and you can go a LONG way without a repeater. The US needs more 6m repeaters too... when we get settled at the new place, I am going to set up an autopatch 6m repeater, since I have unlimited free long distance with Vonage, I will allow eveyone with my access code to speak to whoever they want by radio-telephone autopatch! THANK YOU VONAGE!!!!
    Also, if you can, get an old 220 rig and use it from time to time, try setting up a net with some other Hams, as we are at risk of losing the band if we don't use it.
    73's KC7NRY DE Walt, just another useless no-coder
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifMake the test harder and BAN THE CODE!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have a Yaesu FT100 in my Tuffy console with a dual band antenna and a separate ATAS-100 Active Tuning Antenna. Only prob is I'm still very newbie - since mostly I spend time working on the truck and not playing with the radio. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I've looked at a few HT's and am still considering picking one up - to carry when I ski or hike.

And I'm currently very jealous of your unlimited free LD. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Im just passing my 26th year as a Ham
    I cant tell you much about the VHF/UHF equipment cuz I mostly do HF DXing I do have a couple 2M rigs scattered around.
    I want an FT-100 to move between the Blazer, Motorhome and Harley /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Get on the air and enjoy. I also STRONGLY recommend you check out other modes of operation (HF, PSK, Satellite, etc) because theres a bunch of different ways you can communicate!

Very 73
    KR6C

8. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Congratulations!! Ditto on what everyone else has said. Find an area that sparks an interest. I don't do much offroad or rock crawling but I am into search and rescue and I am a member of the local ARES group and storm spotter for National Weather Service here in Tennessee plus I am the VE laison for the adjoining county to me. I spend a lot of on HF also.

Congratulations and I hope you decide to take it to anothe level

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Congrats... It's just another adicting hobby /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

got my radio, finally

well after a few months of having my license(KG6WNS) I now have a radio. i decided to go with the Kenwood TM-D700. I got mostly for the built in TNC. I figured I was going to use it more for APRS and eventually for some packet radio.

73 :cool1:

ARQ

11. Igorr

Igorr Registered Member

Congrats as well!

Congrats and welcome to the ham community. I am not much help on the new radio's though. I have a couple of ft-7100's, the model has had their problems, mine have served me well. a 261, a 251 and a 451 (I was real into monobanders a while ago), I use a mono band 2m and a mono band 70cm in the shack with seperate antennas. My buddies know this and like to try to mess me up with which radio they are on (the mic's are indentical). It is a real laugh for them I guess. Anyway, have a ball with amateur radio, it will be exactly what you make of it. There are many different ways to amuse yourself. Take care and welcome!

Les K7KIT