Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just picked up a 14SF, 8.5" vs 14SF lug stud (and another) question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Jan 15, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, I'm pretty happy with what I just picked up. Exactly as described, and supposedly out of a 1997 truck.

Of course, all the little details come out after you look at something, and lug nuts/studs were something I didn't consider.

The axle flange "hub" looks to be the same as the 8.5" eyeballing it, so that shouldn't be an issue with my stock wheels. (the '73-87 ralleys)

However, the lug nuts/studs on the 14SF are obviously larger diameter than the 8.5" lug nuts. Anyone know how this can be worked around, or will the stock ralleys fit with the larger studs?

Couple of options I've heard are either slightly opening up the holes in the wheel (just make sure the lugnuts don't bottom out before snugging up) or having a machine shop turn down the stock studs to the 8.5" size/thread pitch. The 14SF lugs are definitely metric. Obviously I'd rather have the same lug studs/nuts front and rear, and not have to modify the wheels if possible. I was hoping someone made "adapter" lug nuts or something, IF I need to change them.

Also, for u-bolts/upper spring plates, is the best/only option to just grab some off of a 73-87 running a 14SF? I suspect the 14SF axle tube is larger in diameter than the 8.5".

Of course, I could go out and start measuring all this stuff, and comparing, but theres ice all over out there, its dark, and I'd rather sit inside. I figure there are others sitting in front of their computer just waiting for a question that is up their alley. :)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not sure what thread those would be, although I'd guess M13 or M14 if they're metric. The 10 bolt would have had 7/16" lugs which is damn close to 11 mm. I do know my current 15" 8 lug wheels have lots of room around the lugs, your ralley's might just fit.

For U-bolts I'd get a new set bent at a spring and suspension shop. They're not expensive. Tube diameter should be the same as the FF 14 which is 3.375". You'll also have to modify your existing spring plates, of get some 3/4 ton spring plates from someone here (or boneyard or...)

Rene

3. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I run a 14SF with 6 lug axle shafts (originally came with 8 lug shafts) and my aluminum wheel fit fine over the M14 studs. I run a 10 bolt up front so I do have two different lug sizes, can't say that it bothers me much at all and it may slow down a theif just enough to give me chance to beat 'em senceless.
    As for u-bolts and spring plates I agree with Rene, get some bent up (or around as the case may be) the 14SF and 14FF are the same tube diameter.

James

4. dyeager535

Great! Appreciate the info.

Yeah, don't really have a problem with different lug nuts as long as I know what the difference is, especially if all 4 wheels, plus the spare, will fit without mods. :)

5. dyeager535

I can happily say the same thing about the stock steel ralleys...they fit over the lugs too!

14mmx1.5 are what the lug nuts that fit say the size is.

Only problem is that the wheel is no longer hub centric...the 6 lug hub is noticeably smaller. Not sure if thats a real issue or not, but definitely not the same as the 8.5" hub.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not sure if it makes you feel better, but none of the 3/4 ton stuff I had, or the one ton stuff I have now was/is hub-centric. I think it's much less an issue with the larger lug diameter...

Rene

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I don't think that not being hub-centric is a big deal. I have a bunch of stock M14 lug nuts if you need some, but I am sure that you will get some chrome nuts.

8. dyeager535

Actually I hate chrome, I'd like to get some of the factory "open" kind like I have on there now, the ones that are typically hidden by center caps!

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm sure if you find out the knurl diameter of the stock lug studs, you can get yourself some to swap the front over to 14mm or the rear to 7/16". Hit up Carquest and read the Dorman catalog.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a 6 lug 14SF in my 89 p/u and I am currently running stock 15x8 ralley wheels with no mods. They fit fine.. :thumb:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

my rims dont touch the hubs either...

On my 74 K20 with the 14 bolt SF rear axle,I have had ford 8 lug rims on it for over 10 years with no trouble,and I have overloaded it severly many times--the ford rims are a least a half inch bigger on the I.D. of the hub hole,therefore the hub doesnt help carry the load like it would if chevy rims were used--but despite this,I've never had any trouble with the lugs loosening or failing--I'm not saying its perfectly ok to run a truck this way,but its worked for me in daily street use and heavy scrap metal dump runs...If I didnt break it-It probably wont!:crazy: