Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just picked up a brand new 2003 Hyundai Accent

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

As some of you know I've been looking for a econbox commuter car. Well, it just so happens that a good buddy of mine is the sales manager at a Hyundai dealership and he got me the deal of the year on a 2003 Accent.

He had 3 brand new Accents left over from last year and needed to move them. I ended up getting one of them for $9000 plus tax. Last year I would have been able to get the exact same car for around $12,200 + PDI + freight + tax(MSRP up here is $13,300), but because he was forced to register it at the beginning of this year to get his #s up I got it for a bargain.

The car had 26 kms on it when I picked it up and still has the full warranty. The best part is I took it out to BC this weekend and got 750 kms(470 miles) on $35 worth of gas. The same trip costs me about $80 in the K5........

Keep in mind that these figures are in Canadian dollars. Up here it's impossible to buy a new car for under $10K, and I was very lucky to get such a low price.

Just goes to show you it's not what you know but who you know..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Nevermind, monday morning got the best of my brain /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mitsu doesn't make the Accent, Hyundai does and they're not the same company...

Rene

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Mitsu doesn't make the Accent, Hyundai does and they're not the same company...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Nevermind what I said then... It's monday morning is all I can say /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Hopefully that will help ease your stress over the trucks.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Good work. How does it ride compared to the blazer /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Take some pics, I dont know what they look like /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Deals that are to good to be true usually are. No offense, but you should trade that thing as soon as it's feasable. My best friend has an '99 Huyndai Accent with about 65 to 75 thousand miles on it. I have never encountered so young a car as crappy as her's. If someone gave me one I'd sell it as fast as I could. The electrical system has so many problems that I won't bother listing them all, just a few. Air conditioning, headlight relay, radio, all no longer work. The inside handle on driver's door broke so she has to put down the window to open the door, but the window won't stay in it's track. Both of the sun visors broke off. The Air Bag light is on when the car is on so no air bag in an accident. I could go on, but you get the idea. Please don't think that I'm trying to put you or any Huyndai owner down, but when your's starts falling apart don't say I didn't warn you. I know your new car has a warranty, but you have to read the fine print when it comes to warranties. Things like door handles may not be covered as long as the advertised warranty might lead you to belive. She did buy her car used, but most of the things started going bad after she got it. I hate to rain on your new car enjoyment, but depending on how long you've owned it, you may be able to take it back(I'd run as fast as I could). I'd rather drive a 5 year old Japanese car than waste my money on a new Huyndai. For that kind of money you could get a really nice used Acura or Camry. If the guy is really your friend maybe he'll take it back. I don't know about where you live, but some states here in the US have laws that give you time to change your mind. Every time I drive her car I'm appalled by how a car as new as a '99 could be such a piece of junk. My 30 year old Blazer has door handles that still work, yeah the doors are in the back yard, but they still work.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    My best friend has an '99 Huyndai Accent

[/ QUOTE ]

Serves her right for buying a 99. Check out the JD Power ratings of both the 2003 Accent and the 1999 Accent. They've come a long way in 4 years.

Secondly, where I live you CANNOT buy a used low-mile Honda, Acura ot Toyota for $9000- if it was possible to do so I would have gone that route. The cheapest alternative I found was a 2000 Civic(base model) with 60k miles for almost $11,000.

9. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Ok so can JD powers see into the future? I'm sorry, but I can't help being a smartass sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I wish you the best of luck with your new car. They might be a much better car now than they were in '99, but a car built in 2003 is not yet as old as that piece of junk she drives. It's possible that you won't have the problem with the disintegrating plastic parts, like she does, the heat of the desert might have something to do with that. As to the price of cars up there... Holy Crap! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Later,

Allan Greenblazer