Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just picked up a Miller 200 mig welder and have a ??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, Apr 23, 2003.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am welding on the cage and have not used a good mig welder before and would like an idea in line speed, temp.,and gas pressure? Man this thing is the bomb. I look over at my arc welder and think why even bother.
    Oh! yea I did get pissed off when I took a better look at my top bars that run over my head and noticed they look like crap so I will need to pull them out. The only good thing is they are only tacked on.
    Any help would be good just to help get things close. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

What did it cost ya, I was just gonna look into one???? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

what gas are you using? the amperage, and line speed all depend on your wire size and the thickness of steel you are welding...I just ren a few beads on similar material that you want to weld, then adjust to make it sound like frying bacon...no loud pops or cracks...

chris

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I have the Millermatic 210. All the info you need should be on the cover where you have the spool of wire. you probably have the option of .023,.030,and .035 on th ewire size. I belive with my Co2 argon mix a have it set on 25. It is in the manual. You could also find it online at the Miller page

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

well it is a buddy's at a body shop and i can keep it as long as i want he has 5 or 6 of them so it did not pay anything for it. I did talk to Matt (TheLakeRat) he gave me some direction so i think i will try it. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

thanks Keith

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just do some "tinkering" with different thickness's of metal, and look at the bead's when done. Adjust a little , run another short bead, adjust accordingly.

Once You have it figured out, write the {speed and heat} on the cabinet somewhere with a felt pen, for "ballpark" setting's.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For Gas flow 25 is OK in a shop with the doors closed...but if there is any breeze whatsoever I'd recomend 30-35 CFH. Grinding out porosity sucks monkey butt! On a related note, make sure your 'stick-out' doesn't exceed 3/8" or so. Beyond that the gas shielding get's unreliable and will also result in porosity.

The heat settings really depend on the wire size and material thickness and to a lesser extent your abilities as a welder. With microwire you want to be careful not to run too much wire at too low a voltage...better to err on the hot side of where you're comfortable. A little too cold will still look good but "Cold lap" is a real possibilty.

Running .030 wire I'd probably run the machine at about 22-23.5 volts on 1/8" material. Set the wire speed to suit...

Does the machine have any guages? I'm used to the larger Millers with the digital output display. Sure makes fine tuning a lot easier to duplicate later.

Rene