Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just picked up an O/D unit for the crew cab...

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BlueBlazer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2005
  2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I know a guy that is using one of those in Colorado. He didnt like it. Pain to split shift and it leaked terribly when he first put it in. Ended up making a makeshift seal on the input to keep it from leaking. You will have to double clutch to split shift which can loose more momentum than you want. Also, you end up needing to cut off your current shifter handles and modify them so they dont hit the seat. They get pushed back 7" with that set up and dont work well anymore.

On the positive side you saved a couple hundred bucks over buying one new from AA.

3. BlueBlazer

Do you know the vintage of his box? This one is brand new so hopefully any design problems have been fixed. Also, the gears are synchronized so no double clutching needed anymore. I have captains chairs in the crew cab, so no seat to shifter interference problems to worry about. Hopefully there wont be any leaks, we shall see though. Anyone else with experience with these?

4. kennyw

He said his was supposed to be syncro'd as well, but it didnt work that way. I can probably dig up his email address so you can email him directly...

5. BlueBlazer

Just got this done last night, and man what a difference. I had to shift through all 8 gears just to see how fast I could do it, and all went smoothly. Ive found that if I leave it in OD I can use all 4 trans speeds and it accelerates much smoother without near as much of a drop between gears not to mention the 700 rpm drop at 65 mph. Well worth 750 bucks I think.:saweet: :crewcab:

6. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

I rode in Tyler's rig last night, and it does go down the highway damn nice now.....should tow very well with the split shifts. Definitely a slick unit.

7. kennyw

Any trouble split shifting?

8. BlueBlazer

Nope. Just takes a little extra time to move both shifters, but I am getting pretty good at it.