Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just picked up my "new to me" M1008, surge question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DukeBoy88, Apr 8, 2004.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Just picked up my \"new to me\" M1008, surge question

I'm very happy with my purchase, rust free Georgia truck w/ 52,000 miles. I have one question, I searched for surging problems and found most happen at idle, and often coincide with hard starting, so I'm not sure if this is my problem or not. At a constant easy acceleration the truck will take off at 45mph without an apparent reason until 55-60. Its a little boost that seems to come out of nowhere. The truck starts fine, idles fine,runs strong. I'll start looking for possible air leaks, but if someone has another idea please let me know. One more thing it does not have the stock rectangular fuel filter, It has a aftermarket spin-on napa filter instead.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Just picked up my \"new to me\" M1008, surge question

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm very happy with my purchase, rust free Georgia truck w/ 52,000 miles. I have one question, I searched for surging problems and found most happen at idle, and often coincide with hard starting, so I'm not sure if this is my problem or not. At a constant easy acceleration the truck will take off at 45mph without an apparent reason until 55-60. Its a little boost that seems to come out of nowhere. The truck starts fine, idles fine,runs strong. I'll start looking for possible air leaks, but if someone has another idea please let me know. One more thing it does not have the stock rectangular fuel filter, It has a aftermarket spin-on napa filter instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually the surge means air leak like you obviously know.
    Now on my truck it surges when it gets a load, it does that to compensate for the load, is this hapening when you hit head wind or a steeper section or anything like that?
    Another thing could be the injectors, if they pop at low pressure then the excess would be the culprit.
    My friends truck was doing that and they were poping at 20PSI /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Now he rebuilt ones and it rides nice and smooth.

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Re: Just picked up my \"new to me\" M1008, surge question

I'll need to drive it more and see if I notice anything else. I don't think it was under additional load at that moment, but it's a possibility.