Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just pulled a bunch of codes?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I just pulled 12, 13, 22, 24, 33, 34, 44. Some of the codes say lean but its spitting out black smoke, which means its running way to rich. Its not burning any oil what so ever. Its all carbon, too rich. The o2 and IAC are new, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I am lost. Can you help me?

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

did you make any engine mods cam,intake and so on. anything like that or did it just all of a sudden start run n like that?

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

It just all of a sudden did it. The motor is pretty much stock. No mods on the motor. I was just driving, on my way to a trail and it started doing it. So I pulled the codes this morning and I dont know where to go from there.

4. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

maybe bad parts

call an auto parts store they can tell you what the codes are but it sounds like it can be your maf (mass air flow) bad or a short in wiring or bad injector/s when they go bad there default setting is to run rich i would test every thing first.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

http://www.chevythunder.com/fuel injection troubleshooting pg a.htm

Are you positive there were no "left over" codes in there? Unhook your negative battery cable for a minute, clear the codes and then hook the cable back up. Start her up and see what new codes you get. The code 12 is a normal diagnostic code, you get it every time you check the ALDL.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

ok, i reset the computer. i restarted it and just got code 33. it says that the MAP or MAF sensor has a high signal voltage during idle. So, is this caused by a different problem or do I have to replace the MAP sensor?

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

MAP sensors are cheap, but i'll bet it is bad so get yourself a new one.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Code 33- This indicates a faulty maf or map sensor, depending on your tpi system.

MAF: This code is set when the ecm sees a indicated airflow of greater than 45 grams per sec (gps) and the tps is less than idle, and engine rpm's is around 2000. This can be set by intermittent problems, usually a bad connection. These can be extremely difficult to find. Check the harness and connections very thoroughly. Also check for routing of wiring near the spark plug wires, this can induce a voltage high enough to cause problems. If this code is being set along with other maf related codes (34 and 36) suspect strongly a bad maf connector. If all else checks out, the maf is bad. But since this sensor is very expensive, exhaust all your efforts to find and correct a wiring problem first.

MAP: If you have speed density, this code will be set when the ecm sees the engine running, tps less than 2%, and a indicated air flow of 11psi or about 8" of vacuum. A faulty map sensor is the problem.

9. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

time to visit junk yard.