Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Purchased Some Upgrades

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Sep 22, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well, I finally purchased some more upgrades for my truck after not buying anyting for a while. First, I finally laid down the $42 for a K&N air filter. And for those of you who dont believe in them, it did add mpg!! I also just ordered 2 parts from cfm-tech.com A tbi power plate and injector spacers. The idea is to get as many cfm's of air flowing into the engine as possible. In 2 or 3 weeks when I have a few more dollars, I plan on ordering an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a power charger, and a fuel psi adapter/guage from them and install all 5 parts at the same time. The fuel pressure guage and adjustable regulator are used to fine tune the fuel pressure to match the added parts (stock psi is 11-13, and cfm tech recommends somewhere between 14-14.5 for ther performance parts) According to an article in "trucks" magazine, using this system of parts can net a pretty decent gain in hp an mpg (somewhere around 40 hp and 3-4 mpg.) When I get all of the parts and install them, I will post up an update to let you all know how well they work.
    -Harrison

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

sounds good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

the k&N air filter is it the open air element one?
    and did you get it from cfm-tech.com too ?
    so make sure to upate us, causeI need to wake up my 350 TBI too.

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Harrison cool deal dont forget the pics of the install of those parts for your TBI. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When I get the money I am going to order the same 5 parts you are talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

On a USNET group I follow, there was a post that went something like this:
    There is a construction company that has a large fleet of vehicles all the way from company cars, to large 12 cyl cat font end loaders and 18 wheelers.
    They are spending roughly $30,000 a month on paper filters to keep this fleet running in top condition.
    Some pencil pusher presents the idea of oiled air filters as a way to save some $$$, so they jump on it.
    All of these vehicles got regular oil changes, and regular oil analysis, so they were well taken care of and they knew each one's history.
    After the switch, they had a 12cyl cat that had 1 filter per bank. It stopped running before lunch because a small (paper) filter that was AFTER the oiled filter clogged up. They changed it back to paper that day. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Wear metals went up significantly, and to scarry levels, in every single vehicle they were installed in (some were left alone as control). /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    The pencil-pusher who insisted on the switch refused to give up his filter, and they let him have it. The only one. He had a car with a 350SBC that died at 80,000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Coincidence? I don't think so.... and neither did the poster (the pencil pusher)....

How many tanks have you used to calculate your MPG increase? Three tanks is a bare minimum to eliminate error.
    Did you change ANYTHING else when you installed it? (Maybe new oil, an O2 sensor, ETC) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif everything about trucks, thats fer damn sure. But I do know that K&N is only good for thinning out your wallet.

I have a very nice looking and functioning air filter set up. It cost me roughly $30.00-$40.00 total (IE, what you paid for your K&N.
    Chrome edelbrock air filter housing at AutoZoned ($19.99 IIRC, with filter/small wing nut)
    Plastic HOUSING spacer (not TBI) ($2.99 IIRC)
    STP Air Filter (4" tall or so, can get you #) ($8.99 IIRC)
    Funky Wing Nut at AutoZoned ($3.99 IIRC)
    Threaded rod, because stock attachment was too short ($3.49 IIRC)

Let me just hop into my flame suit and I'll hit the post button. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well actually, mine has lasted longer than lunch. I fully believe in k and n air filters. I know people who have run them for 100,000 miles and havent blown up their engines. When you say k and n is good for thinning out your wallett, you havent figured in the cost of replacing you cheapo filter through the vehicles life. Lets see; STP air filter-$8.99 x 10 filter changes = $89.90 So if I am correct, $42 for a k and n empties my wallett more than $89.90? You could probably gain some more performance on yours due to losing weight by losing your "chrome edelbrock air filter housing." And how would your setup be any more efficient than mine that has a cold air intake tube going to the grille? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I get the money I am going to order the same 5 parts you are talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I will let you know how it performs. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    -Harrison

8. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I just got my fuel pressure regulater, but it is vacuum controlled. I will let you know how it works out (from what I read, better than an adjustable).

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Where did you get your fuel pressure regulator? I am interested to know how it does for you.
    -Harrison

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have all the parts you have ordered installed on my 89 stock 350 TBI. Had them on for over 3 years. Once you get them all in I think you will be happy with the results. The Power Charger and injector spacers will add the most power
    You will see the best gains with headers and good exhaust. The adjustable FP regulator is a must have for best performance once you start adding more air flow. I run my fuel pressure at 14. PSI for best MPG and performance.
    I get 18 mpg freeway(70mph)no problem.The mods gave me good HP gain and Gobs of low end.I Also have ign mods (DUI module with more dwell, DUI coil, Taylor wires, Accel cap&rotor)Set timing up from the stock 0* to 4* AC Delco Plugs are gapped at .050.

I cant believe the previous post about K&Ns blowing engines. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. They are great filters. I have them on my K5, Mustang, dirt Bike, and I ran them on my dune buggy and many other vehicles/toys I have owned. I have never had engine problems caused by a K&N filter. The only issues I have ever had with K&Ns is with MAF sensors. The oil in the filter gets the sensor dirty and will degrade performance. So you have to clean the sensor wire every now and then.No big deal.
    They always helped all around performance a little. I couldn't even think of running paper filter in my K5. It's so dusty around here they get plugged up in a month. K&Ns have saved me a bunch of money.In both fuel costs and replacing POS paper filters all the time. BTW fram filters suck. They are the worst flowing filters on the market. Add some dust and you might as well stuff a cork in your intake. AC delco paper are the best around they flow almost as good as K&N. Did I rember to say Fram sucks? if I didn't I'll say it again Fram Sucks.

11. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well actually, mine has lasted longer than lunch. I fully believe in k and n air filters. I know people who have run them for 100,000 miles and havent blown up their engines. When you say k and n is good for thinning out your wallett, you havent figured in the cost of replacing you cheapo filter through the vehicles life. Lets see; STP air filter-$8.99 x 10 filter changes = $89.90 So if I am correct, $42 for a k and n empties my wallett more than $89.90? You could probably gain some more performance on yours due to losing weight by losing your "chrome edelbrock air filter housing." And how would your setup be any more efficient than mine that has a cold air intake tube going to the grille? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I got rid of my water sucker intake.
    And I know your "chrome wont get you home" sentimate. I suppose I could have found a non-chrome one for about 2$ less.
    As for my $80.00 in air filters, I'll take the risk that I'll have my truck longer than yours will run. I just gave you my two cents about a product.
    The best way to look beligerant is to argue with someone who is. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Dude, do whatever you want - it's your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif [​IMG]
    Not that it gets air much higher, but it gets rid of a bunch of pointless [censored] and didn't cost much at all. That's the filter that came with the assy. It's quite a bit taller now, and doesn't have that goofy wing nut on there.
    I had a K&N on a 72 chevelle, the holly was nice & clean until I put in the K&N!!! It got DUSTY quick, and I wouldn't describe NH as dusty!!!! As for this set up, the inside shines like new, the outside has mud on it... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

12. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, well I know quads and trucks are different...but I think a lot has to be said about HOW one cares for the K&N. My buddies and I all got them for our Banshees, and wouldn't ya know it-2 of the 3 ended up ruining thier engine cuz the filter didn't do its job and a bunch of dirt/dust got in there and fried the rings. Mine didn't have a problem. I oiled the crap out of it, apparently the other guys didn't. I don't know if the K&N saves and $, you need to maintain it...even though your not spending $10-$15 for a 'new' paper filter, you still have to buy the proper oil and a good cleaner for it (IMO, gas isn't a great idea). I never considered getting a K&N for any of my DD's...I won't either. Heck, now that I think about it, we got a super-thin mesh cover to go OVER the K&N on the bikes...yeah, i don't wanna mess with it on my DD.

13. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I got the FPR from gmpartsdirect.com for $51 (includes shipping) Part number is 17113186.

Will post new thread once I have tested it.

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Any word on this FPR? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any word on this FPR? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if its in the thread but what the hell is an FPR?

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Fuel Pressure Regulator /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

OH! ok, Forgive the newbie..