Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just put new tranny in, and what a hassle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jun 24, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just got done puttin the tranny in. and it sure is a pain in the a$$ doin it alone. :mad: had to rush to get it done a cleaned before the old man got home. half way up to the motor it bump somthin dunno what :confused: and slide off my floor jack, then i caught it just in time before it slid all the way off,so there i am holding my tranny sayin prayers in mature rated langauge,then after that a couple of bumps down the jack the a good six or so inch drop on the tourque converter. i repostioned the strap. and put it back up in there. i just hope i didn't screw up anything. the converter set just fine in there bolted up nice just theres good 1/4 inch gap in between flywheel and flex plate. is this normal and anybody think it could somthing could be wrong with the tranny

2. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

do you mean torque converter and flex plate?...if it is bolted up...there should be no gap between the tabs(where bolts go through) on the converter and the flexplate.

if it is not bolted up..yes..just scoot it forward and bolt it up

3. down4thakrown

no its not bolted up, but if i scoot it up will it not grab the tranny pump? its bolt up pretty snug against the block.

4. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

It will still grab...everything is fine....scoot'er forward and bolt it up...

5. down4thakrown

sweet, you think the tranny is ok from it's fall

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

should be fine, nothing major, a jolt to the case shouldnt cause any damage.

7. down4thakrown

the converter took a good portion of the jolt, but it spins fine so i think so too

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The main thing you need to be worried about is that the torque converter is seated correctly. If the impeller pump slip yoke, which locks into the pump, came out of the pump, you could burn your transmission up. When I lock a torque converter into an automatic transmission pump, I place the whole transmission up-right on its tail, and spin it into the pump. As you rotate the converter clockwise into the trans, there will usually be three clicks (or clunks) heard, and the converter will drop farther down into the trans with each click. The torque converter will then be seated in completly.

9. down4thakrown

i think it's seated right, i can spin it freely tryin to see if it will go slide back into the tranny any more while the tranny is bolted up to the motor and it wont. theres about a 1/4- 1/2 maybe bigger gap inbetween the t/c and f/p. when i pull the t/c out to touch the f/p and turn it im able to slid the t/c back in to place with out turnin it back to where it was and im pretty sure thats as far as it goin to go. im worried about the front seal and shaft.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yah the face of the torque converter will be like 1/2" to 1" inside the flat of the bellhousing if that makes sense.
    I've done a couple of recent tranny swaps on my truck. i did it with the floor jack and a trannsmission jack fixture attachment. I had to remove the t-case seperately, then the transmission.. because of the way my crossmember was..
    The tranny jack worked pretty good until i tried the cherry picker method!

I modified my crossmember by grinding out the rivits for the upper part so it can unbolt seperately...
    Last time i did the tranny swap to a 465, i bolted the 465/205 together then slid it under my truck on a dolly.. put a chain around the front part of the adapter and its a great balance point.. i removed my passanger seat and my transmission tunnel cover from inside the truck, then used a cherry picker to remove/install the 465/205 combo. it is a one man operation that only took me 10 minutes to get it positioned and the bolts started.
    :thumb:

11. down4thakrown

i got a hold of one of those tranny jacks that harbor freight sells after it fell and flatend the front tires so it would reach and used the picker to steady the motor, using a ratchet to raise the tranny jack was the longest part after gettig the tranny off ground and on to the jack while bein under the truck :angry1: :shame: