Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Put XM in the Patrol Car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Should we have a pool to see how long it takes before I have to use tape in court and have something really weird playing in the background?

:D :D :D

2. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

are you a... cop?

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

No, I just play one on TV...........

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So how well do you like the XM ?? I'm thinking of getting it for the daily driver. Did you install it yourself ?? What all do you need too do too hook it up ?? Did you also get the home kit ??

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I like it. What convinced me was the 3 day free trial you can listen to online. They don't carry all the channels on the trial, but there was enough channels that made me happy and after I got it installed, I went through all the channels and I think I will be very happy with it.

Installed it myself. Took me about 20 minutes, and then another hour waiting for the activation. I put the antenna underneath the rear of my light bar, ran the cable down the door sill, underneath the moldings. Mounted the reciever on the left side of the passenger airbag so for the most part, it's a clean install. The mount for the receiver has an adhesive pad on the back, so when it comes time to take it out for good, I can just clean off the residue. Once I get the K5 ready, then I'll probably have to get another mount, or maybe just another car kit and I can transfer the receiver over pretty fast. As it stands now, I can have the whole thing out in 10 minutes.

It's a clean install. The antenna is magnetic. It has a cigarette lighter power cord so there was no cutting and splicing.

I didn't get the home kit for it. Really don't see a need for it right now. I was getting fed up by the lack of radio stations out here and always flipping channels. I got the SkiFi2 receiver and it has a remote. I need to velcro it somewhere in the car, but the best thing is that it has a mute button, no more playing with the radio knob when I have to talk on the radio. It also has a built in FM modulator and with the radio station situation, I had no problem finding a frequency I can use for it.

About the one thing I don't like is the antenna cable. It's just about razor thin. I'm gonna try to pick up some white conduit to protect that part that is outside the car. That's another thing that I like about it is that the antenna is very small and if we do stuff like this to our patrol cars, as long as it appears factory, the sheriff doesn't have a problem with it. Right now, if someone looks at it, they'll notice it with the cord, but the white conduit will hide it.
    :D

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ilove it---------- it is so much better i do some traviling and i lost the station to offen and it is like 1hr and 20 min is dam comersels

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Cool deal! I was just looking through the ads tonight and it looks like everything is Sirus now.... When i bought my Alpine CD deck a couple years back it cam XM ready I just never paid for it. Been thinking about about it again once the gears go in...

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been considering one for the DD. Does the antenna have a cable attached to it as to where you would have to drill a hole in the top? That is the only reason I haven't done it yet.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I have something like 6 stations that I listen to at work. 4 rock, NPR, 1 country.

NPR blows most of the time. One of the rock stations is classic, and I get it in most of my patrol area, then the other 3 rock stations are okay and the country station sucks, except on Sunday nights.

My music taste is pretty much all over, plus with the talk radio options on XM, I should be entertained, especially when I listen to the America Left channel. :grin:

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Not unless you wanted to. The cable is thin, think the wire for your computer speakers. It went seamlessly into the door sill and all the body moldings.

11. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Congrats Bubba! My brother and me sent an XM radio to our parents as a housewarming gift, in Mississippi. They love it.

I know I want XM in my home, cabin, and work truck. NOW.

Glad for you buddy. Hey, you could play a "theme" channel while in pursuit...oh, nevermind.

Got a bass reflex speaker hooked up ?

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

XM????

:confused: :confused: :dunno: :dunno:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was wondering how well a couple of 12's would go over in the trunk of a patrole car, LOL.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I love how we have a couple of county cops around here that come to the dorms and bull**** with us about laws, and talk trucks/hot rods with us. Seems like all the city cops have it out for us:crazy:

15. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Ive had Sirius for about two years and I like it better than XM hands down. Dad has it in his new Chevy truck and I can never seem to find anything playing good compared to Sirius. Thats just me though. Ive got a small magnetic antenna thats about 1x1x.5 on my roof. Either way satellite radio is the way to go as far as Im concerned, I cant stand to listen to regular FM anymore, it just plain blows compared to satellite. :thumb:

16. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Sirius radio is running a deal until the end of the year. If you buy the head unit and car adapter kit you get 2 rebates and it ends up being 100 bucks for everything. plus the ten bucks a month for the service. No i'm not promoting it, I just found a flier at my work and I thought that was a pretty good deal. I listen to mp3's mostly and cd's

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I get sirius through my satellite dish

I really like it

18. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

XM would defitanly be a nice upgrade to my ride. Sheriff doesn't like for us to upgrade our patrol cars like that. I bought a portable dvd player at walley world, for bout 100 bucks. Its frickin awsome on these rainy 3rd shifts nites when its dead.

If bubba's trunk is like my trunk, it'd be hard to fit some 6x9's in there. lol. :D

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yup, I'm running out of room and for the poor souls on the SRT team, they have zero room in the trunk, for them it's all about strategically placing things so they can close the trunk lid.

As long as we don't hack stuff up, we're golden with the sheriff. He might say something once he notices my setup and I'll explained to him how nothing was hacked, it can be out it in a couple of minutes and the adhesive will wipe off easily on the dash and he probably will let it fly. I already mentioned it to a supervisor and he didn't say anything.
    :D

In fact, we have one guy that bought a factory cassette player off of E-bay for his two cars and the sheriff didn't have a problem in those cases. :D

20. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My favorite channels:

Liquid Metal
    Hank's Place
    Bluegrass Junction