Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just ran over a cat..need some advice on how to handle this please. urgent

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by supersize75k5, Aug 9, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I just went up to ok to get a thirst buster as I have a lot to do tonight. On the way back a cat ran in front of me as I passed a car on the side of the road. Just a minute later it stopped moving.

This is just very sad, I am not against animal killing or anything so doesn’t get the wrong idea. But this is a pet, maybe even some kids cat that got outside some how. I feel like crap just thinking of when out dog got ran over. I went and got a trash bag and the cat had a collar with it with an id tag, turns out to be a neighbor’s cat down the street, I don’t know them that well but this sucks.

I put the cat out side in the back yard, I just wouldn’t want them to drive by and see it on the road, ..

Anyways, do I just tell them and risk pissing them off and making an enemy, maybe they are better off just thinking it is still alive or got picked up for being a stray?

Or do I try to talk to them, they may be real attached and want closure or something, they may even want to bury it or have it cremated. I want to wait till morning though, and try to talk to a parent about it.

Am I liable? This just isn’t fair; I just wanted a drink for crying out loud,

Any comments are welcome and advice is wanted

I need to figure this out by morning /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Well your damn'd if you do and damn'd if you dont...

We have several cats around here, they are outside cats. We find them on the side of the road sometimes and othertimes they just stop showing up. When they get hit it pisses you off and you want to know who, then when they dont show up for a few days, weeks, you worry about them. I overheard a neighbor talking about shooting a couple possums and racoons in his yard. That same week we had about 4 cats come up missing. You can bet your ass if I find out he shot them /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Anyway, I'd say they need to know and need to bury it to finalize things. I would call them and talk to adult before you show up to the door with a bag and have the kids ask whats in the bag /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

They need to know, but they might not like you afterwards /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

From what I know, most people with cats dont let them run around outside. It must have ran off. You could call them a let them know you found it or just tell them you did it. They're pretty quickyou have to swerve really fast when you try to hit them /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif j/k

4. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    From what I know, most people with cats dont let them run around outside. It must have ran off. You could call them a let them know you found it or just tell them you did it. They're pretty quickyou have to swerve really fast when you try to hit them /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif j/k

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt try to hit it, just felt a suddent bump/thud. I will call first, hopefuly they are nice, I live on the corner house of a street with a coldesack..so I cant avoid them..

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I use to be that way and I use to joke there was no live black cat cross my path... Now I have this one inside [​IMG] and if I found out someone swerved to hit him, its very hard to tell what I would do... (They may be controlling their vehicle via hand controls in the future /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I've taken out my share of ground squirrels, birds and even a frog once but not on purpose.
    I'd say be very appolagetic (sp?), explain how bad you feel and say it was an accident. I wouldn't think they could be really mad at ya then...

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Just tell the truth......tell them that you are very sorry, and that the cat basically jumped weird like in front of your tire, and by that time it was too late,you treid to swerve, but there were people walking on the other side,.........and that your sorry for that and you feel terrible /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I didnt try to hit it, just felt a suddent bump/thud. I will call first, hopefuly they are nice, I live on the corner house of a street with a coldesack..so I cant avoid them..

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt meaning that you did it on purpose...just joking..Sorry

8. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

If you are worried about them making you the enemy, just tell them that their cat was hit by a car and you picked it up, and that if they want it for some reason, you have it. Or at least they might want the collar back.

IF they start acusing you of hitting it and getting all angry, then it would have been a good thing you didn't say you hit it right off the bat. And if they just thank you, and kindly ask for the remains/collar/nothing at all then situation solved. this is the most likely to happen anyways.

still sucks though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. supersize75k5

hey that is a great idea, avoids any hard feelings, or thoughts of me doing it on purpose,

thanks you guys! I am a little less worried now, I will post back with the result after I call tommarow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

o..bigpappa, I know you didnt mean it that way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

come on, it's just a cat...not like it's a REAL pet or anything. And it was in the road, with obviously uncaring owners to let it roam free. What you should have done is sold it to the local Chinese food place. Might have paid for your Slurpee or whatever you were getting to drink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. supersize75k5

lol...

[ QUOTE ]
    come on, it's just a cat...not like it's a REAL pet or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

In buckeye, a farming area, kids at school had sheep's, goats ect... For pets, are those real pets? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I think it has more to do with the value of the animal the person who owns it has for it that matters, sheep, goat, frog, dog or a cat. May not be just a cat to them.

mmmm Chinese.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On anther note, here in Gilbert there is a Mexican food joint connected to an animal hospital.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I am going to go talk to them or see if they are home in a few minutes /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What you should have done is sold it to the local Chinese food place.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMmmmmmm General Tso's kitten.....I mean chicken.....

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just FYI, in most states, CA. included, cats are considered feral animals and therefor you are not liable for hitting one in the road. You are not mandated to stop and file a report in Ca. for a cat, but you are for a dog. Dogs are considered a domesticated pet. In my opinion, anyone who locks up a cat in the house and won't let it run free, is damn near animal abuse. Cats are feral and they want to roam. I would just go down and tell them their cat ran in front of your car and although you didn't want to hit it, you had no choice. If they have half a brain, they will understand that it's the cats fault, not yours, and not blame you. If they do blame you, I wouldn't lose a nanosecond of sleep over it.

14. supersize75k5

Just got off the phone, the lady said she understands and asked if I can dispose of the cat and mail her or drop off a receipt to be reimbursed.

I didn't even have to tell her I lived a few houses down!

She was upset but it worked out, the cat was given to them by a friend who moved into a apartment with a no animal policy. The cat had been out for just a day, and got out from the doggy door they think.

all works out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just got off the phone, the lady said she understands and asked if I can dispose of the cat in her mailbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn dude, you've got weird neighbors!

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Bwhahahaa good one man.. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Re: Just ran over a cat..need some advice on how to handle this please. urg

Honesty is the best!

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i was going to say go to the pound and look for a cat that looks the same slap the coller on her and drop her off at there door!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Shades of Meet the Parents..........

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Skin it and eat it. Yum Cat stew /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    A Case of beer and a big pot. You got it made