Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just rebuilt my computer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 1, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

YeeHaw, this puppy is fast! I was going to put WinXP on it, then I was thinking, yeah, but every time I use it at work I hate it, MS released it with a gaping security hole, it's too mac looking... So I reinstalled Win2k, and it's friggin blazing now!

I left a 7gb partition open to install XP, though, and probably will when I finish reloading everything on the 2k partition.
    Win2k has just been a rock for me. I've never had an unrecoverable failure of Win2k that wasn't hardware, and I like the interface. Every XP install I've done or setup has had really unprofessional looking graphics (even in the classic mode), clunky directory browsing, and the most f-ing annoying popup and piss-you-off features I have ever seen in my life. If I want my damn desktop cleaned up, I'll do it!!

Anyway, I'm just kinda blown away at how fast this thing is cookin' right now...

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Can y'all put that in redneck terms for us unsophisticated folk? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

OK:

YeeHaw, this hyar houn'dog is fast! Fry mah hide! ah was a-gonna put WinXP on it, then ah was reckonin', yeah, but ev'ry time ah use it at wawk ah hate it, MS released it wif a gapin' security hole, it's too mac lookin'... So ah reinstalled Win2k, an' it's friggin blazin' now! Fry mah hide! ah lef' a 7gb partishun open t'install XP, though, an' probably will when ah finish reloadin' ev'rythin' on th' 2k partishun. Win2k has jest been a rock fo' me. I've nevah had an unrecovahable failure of Win2k thet warn't hardware, an' ah like th' interface. Ev'ry XP install I've done o' setup has had pow'ful unprofesshunal lookin' graphics (even in th' classic mode), clunky direcko'y browsin', an' the dawgoned-est f-in' annoyin' popup an' piss-yo'-off features ah have evah see in mah life. Eff'n ah's hankerin' mah dadburn desktop cleaned up, I'll does it! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide! Ennyway, ah's jest kinda blown away at how fast this hyar thin' is cookin' right now...

Courtesy of the Dialetizer: http://rinkworks.com/dialect/

Bubba, basically I deleted everything and had the chance to rebuild it from scratch without all the junk that's accumulated over the last year or so. I had the chance to install Microsoft's newest operating system, but went back to the second-to-newest because I think it's better. The newest version, Windows XP, has lots of neat bells and whistles, but I find them more cluttersome and cumbersome than helpful. I also think XP is too restrictive on control you have over the computer and customizing it.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Courtesy of the Dialetizer: http://rinkworks.com/dialect/

[/ QUOTE ]

what a cool site Ratch~!!!

Brandy

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Thank ya for putting it into terms I can comprehend. And thanks for the link, that's one of the few words I can't spell, so doing a search for the site would prove to be quite a challenge for me.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Corporate emailed memo's seem to fit the Jive version well...

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Now come on over and rebuild this pile of steaming monkey crap I gotta use...please???/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

well.. I gotta couple of Pentium 133's I'm on the fence of junking...

9. tRustyK5

LOL...

Rene

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Oh man, I just got your sig line... In the computer context it's friggin hysterical...

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Hey, you can run a program called gpedit.msc under XP and git rid of all that garbage. It is the group policy editor and you can disable all of the popups and stuff. Makes it run real clean.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That crap is in the machine policy??? Or can I just squash it with a policy? I'll have to try that on my XP machine in a couple minutes...

13. Sandman

You have to play around with it some. I just go through everything and turn off all the stuff I dont like. Good luck!

14. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In the computer context it's friggin hysterical...

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the context of the quote...but it's even funnier taken out of context./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, that's what I meant. It was funny out of context, but I knew it was out of context, and I couldn't quite place how it would be in-context. When I figured t out, it made it even funnier...

That Ratch boy ain't all there sometimes...

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

ok, you done the redneck version how about the techie version? what's the stats? parts? J /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Dude leave win2k on there. It is the only halfway decent windows os made. If you go xp, you'll eventually regret it.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah I know. I switched a couple machines to XP and started reading some re-certification material on it. If anything was pushing me toward Linux, it's Windows XP...

JJL, the box is nothing fancy, about a year or so old. I just wiped and reloaded everything because I wanted to de-clutter, and change my partitioning scheme to accomodate future OS expansion while keeping a consistent data drive to be shared among all OS's on the box.

Specs are :

800MHz - AMD

512Mb PC133

(2) 60Gb drives (1 replaced the 20gb system/data drive, the other I'm removing when I finish moving all the data to the new partition scheme on the permenant 60gb)

1 Toshiba DVD/CDrom reader (40x CD, ??x DVD)

1 2x8x Mitsumi burner (2 years old, I've only burned 3 cd's at home in the last year!)

1 Creative DVD decoder card with all kinds of fancy outputs that I actually used before we bought a physical dvd player. I meant to remove this card for a different system, I have to remember to tonight when I get home...

1 ATI all-in-wonder pro card to surf TV and the internet simultaneously

ummmmmm, I'm strapped for what else it has... Dell 17" flat panel display, wireless keyboard/optical mouse, noisy fans...

I was on the verge of buying a new 2g board and cpu last week, but I have a 1.3 laptop, and a couple 1.5ghz at work, and don't see a big difference between the machines, the only reason I can see buying it is just to have it, and I need the money for the house more... Oddly enough, sometimes I think my AMD CPU at home is faster than some of my Intel CPU's with faster clock's at work...
    I love computers. Well, actually, I hate them. I have dozens in my basement running a simulated corporate network so I can stay as on top and well-rounded as possible without time... This machine is the most important, as it serves my only real "users" (my wife and kids)... The others I wipe and rebuild fairly often, though.

19. Sandman

Yeah, I didnt notice much difference when I went from the AMD 1 gig to the Intel P4. Maybe in video conversion. Not much else. You got me beat. I have about 6 computers at home doing various things. Two are running Linux. I've found I like SuSe better than Red Hat.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My First Linux was Suse, but it was so frigging slow I almost died (my old laptop, PII366 64Mb). My brother loves Suse, but I haven't tried it on a faster machine yet myself. I quad-boot my laptop between Redhat linux, Win2k "stock", Win2k Custom (same as stock, but with custom boot graphic, mostly for testing new stuff), and Win XP.

Redhat has proven interesting, but the speed is still not that good to me. I dual booted a K6II 475MHz with 512Mb between WinNT4 server running Exchange 5.5, and RedHat Linux, and the NT seemed to perform OS functions and web browsing much much faster.
    Have you ever re-compiled the kernel? My new boss is Anti-Microsoft and runs Linux-only at home, but swears it is the fastest thing on earth and fits on a floppy when he re-compiles a custom kernal. I've been looking for a way to do that, but I'm like /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif on where the heck to start trying, and I don't want to look stoopid to him, so I'm embarassed to ask how he did it...

Oops, gotta run, after all that geek-speak, my pocket protector's leaking...