Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just saw a new paypal scam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kennyw, Oct 18, 2005.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

They send an HTML email that makes it look like someone just paid for something from your account with a link to "LOG IN" and dispute it. Of course it's all bogus with the intent of getting your email address and password.

[​IMG]

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Notice the "DEAR PAYPAL MEMBER" instead of a real name too. First clue its bogus.

3. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

It will work like a charm though...

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been getting similar ones..

Just tonight I got another "paypal" account notice--this one states my account has a problem--very official looking,with "case" numbers and all..its on of several I've gotten..I get them from E-Bay too--only problem is,I've NEVER HAD a Paypal OR E-Bay Account!!--I've never bought anything online other than concert tickets directly from a venue!..nothing!!.

I just hit the "Report Spam" button-I'd like to know how they get past the spam blocker--but so do those letters from Nigeria that promise to send a million dollars from dead people!!-I hope nobody has forged my name on Pay-Pal or E-bay,and started accounts in my name!--but if I reacall right,none of them had my name,they all started with "Dear Pay-Pal customer,so they must be phoney.. :mad: :mad:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just remember to never log in through an e-mail. If you think that there is a problem, go directly to PayPal and log in. If there is really a problem, it will be there waiting. As long as you don't log in, you will be fine.

I also answer those e-mails if possible (hit return) or log in with something like FBI/Agent for the username/password. It always logs me into the "paypal" scam site and may be fun when they harvest the passwords.

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I got the same email about a month ago. Junked it after checking the full headers.