Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just set up my JD riding snow blower!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dogdaysunrise, Nov 10, 2005.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I got an old JD 212 with a snow blower that runs off the PTO. It looks bad ass, but im not sure how well its gonna start in the bitter cold :doah:

Anyone got an old riding lawn mower? If so, got any tips or tricks for starting it in the cold?

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Choke? :shrug: I've got a JD 70, takes a bit to get it going, but it does start in the winter.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well... It is a John Deere 70 (thats what is says on the side) but not the same as what google turns up. It's a riding lawnmower, not a fullsize tractor.

4. dogdaysunrise

Yea, this one is a lawn and garden tractor. It has front and rear PTO to hook up all kinds of stuff. I have the snow thrower, a tiller and a cutting blade for it. Yea it takes alot of choke to fire it up and its only like 25 degrees right now.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

liquid fire!

I use starting fluid or propane to get my balky one lungers going in the cold,if they fail to start without it..I use starting fluid that has "upper cylinder lube" in with it,so it wont wash the oil off and score the cylinder or piston up..

A propane torch UNLIT of course,held up against the air cleaner will usually wake up a cold engine fast--but if it backfires,be prepared for warm mittens! -it can be a bit dangerous!:eek1: ..I've used one LIT to warm up and clean flooded sparkplugs,then it usually fires up fast..

WD-40 works as starting fluid in warmer weather,but it ain't so hot below 32 degrees..using multi-weight oil helps a lot..SAE 30 wont help it crank over fast enough in the winter,thats for sure many guys here swear by using synthetic oil in their snowblowers..not sure if I'd use it in an older motor that might be sludgy though..10w-40 is all I used in my small engines in the winter.....and use only regular 87 octane gas--"hi test" burns and ignites slower and could inhibit cold starting..

I was thinking of putting 2 snowblowers that need motors I have side by side and rigging them to my 20 HP Yardman riding mower..the "blower" part unbolts from the wheels and engine part--only a "lovejoy" coupling sticks out,it would be cake to put chain sprockets on in their place,and make them turn in unison,weld or bolt both together,and mount them to the tractor..only bummer is my tractor has a vertical (downshaft) motor,the blowers need a horizontal shaft..I have a right angle gearbox I could use,but looking at it,I see no good place to mount it where it will line up with the belts on the mowers engine.. :mad:

I also have a nice 5' plow from a quad I thought about adapting to the tractor too..but decided against it..I've had other riding mowers with plows,wheel weights,and chains,and they still couldn't push squat!..I think the hydrosatic tranny would croak quickly too..

Looks like my K20 will be doing 99% of the plowing again...I'm praying it holds together--beat the crap out of it with 25 storms and 9' of snow last winter.. :eek1: :( ..and I havent fixed any of the things it needs yet either! :doah: better forget fooling with the tractor,and get the truck ready I guess.. :rolleyes: :crazy:

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Ether works wonders sometimes.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

starting fluid is like meth. once you give it it wants it all the time. dont start with it. i had a great old sled one time started vary easy till one night i wanted to go riding. needed to use that stuff. then it never started again with out it .

just do a good tune up and keep it warm like in the garage. if needed try the propane trick first.

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Don't laugh it works!!!! Steal the wife's blow dryer, take off air cleaner, turn blow dryer on high, and blow down into the carb while cranking. It works here when its -20s. Also, look into putting a lighter grade of oil in for winter, so it will spin faster when cold.

9. dogdaysunrise

Thanks for the replies guys.

The propane trick sounds kinda neat, never thought of that. I work all weekend, so I can't do anything to it this weekend, but Monday she is gonna get a full tune-up. It has probably been about 4 years since an oil change (not my fault, I just got it) and im sure the fuel lines are dirty as all hell.

Anyways have a restful rememberance day ( all the canuks on here) and veterens day (for all the folks south of us). God bless our fallen brethern.