Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just some questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaggyk5, Jul 12, 2000.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

1) i remember a while back, someone had this whole big thing going about swapping a cavalier(?) steering wheel into the truck. what year(s) cavalier? does it bolt right on? (i seem to remember that it did)

2)does anyone have the torque output figures for the 1985 305ci V8? im just curious, and cant seem to find this anywhere.

3)if i want to convert to dual exhaust, i need 2 cats right? i dont have to worry about O2 sensors because im not injected, right? and along the same line, its ok to run headers as long as i keep the cat(s) right?

by the way im in PA if you didnt know. So if you know special info for PA then let me know. Thanks all you in advance. You people are the best.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

2. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Some answers

1.Not sure about the torque, a Chilton manuel is ushally a good place to find these figures (Hayes never seems to have them)

2.One can not use two cats. A cat must reach a certain temp. (somewhere above 500)in order to function. Dual cats would not allow the catalyst to work.
    Answer: JC Whitney sells a dual input dual output cat
    #81DX6048N ....It wont increase flow but, may help you with the look your going for give them a call at 312-431-6102
    it's about 100 bucks.

hope this helps alittle

3. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

My Chilton's manual says 235 ft/lb @ 2000RPM for a 1985 Chevy 305c.i. V-8.. and that's about all it says.. hope I could help.

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

4. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Just run with out them. Im sure there is a shop that will do it. My '85 runs great after some basic exauhst work..

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok..
    i know that i could just take the cats off, but im trying to stay legal. emmissions are a bitch, and im not sure if i could get a sticker w/out them. I have heard of people running dual cats, and as for the temperature thing, i was always told that they actually operate at a higher temp, something like 700+ degrees. i dont know. just asking.

Anyone have info on the steering wheel?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

6. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I had an old 1980 ford truck about 3 years ago. The "inspectors" manual had changed from the government. It was now about 1/4 as thick b/c they used to have all these exceptions like a p/u which originally had single exhaust then changed to true duals. But 2 weeks before I had got a new exhaust with dual cats "the works $500 worth" it failed the emission test "the visual one" b/c it wasn't the original syle with one cat. I know a bunch of places which would let me slip b/c they knew me but that wasn't the point. I believe they told me it was from the fed gov. But some places said they hadn't heard but I read the book so who really knows. As far as the dual cats they'll get hot enough with 4 or 8 cyls going through them. You'd still have to send the AIR sys to both or they wouldn't. I read a post earlier about Mr. Eaglek5 (I think that's his name) and he is more than correct. If it came that way it was for the best. Although cats may rob a couple of hp, which you probably wouldn't notice unless racing they need to be there along with all emission equipment. Mother nature gave us only one Earth so we need to respect it. I don't recommend anyone to bypass anything for a couple of xtra hp. There are emission legal ways to increase hp without emissions. If it is a cost factor they people have no business ruining our precious air for a couple of measily dollars. Trust me when we are old and decrepid with lung cancer being the major disease then we may realize then who knows. Keep it and try to make it better to me it's more satisfying.....

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........