Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just some rabling questions I have

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Aug 28, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Well after reading on this forum for a while now I decided to actually check out my gear situation. It seems I have something like 2.76 gears. WOW I figured that for sure since my blazer came with the biggest motor it would surely have bigger gears. Of course that would be why I get such good highway milage. However when I used to mud more often I was always burning up transmisions. Now I know why. In the future I plan to upgrade to a raptor 700 but I will either keep my 31's (does anybody make 32 inch tires?) or lift it 2.5 and go with 33 or 35. Would a 3.73 be to small. This is mostly a tow rig. Nothing heavy just a 2 place snowmobile trailer. I would like to keep some of my highway mileage if possible. Or maybe I will upgrade to a four place enclosed which would make my trailer weight at about 5600. Is this too much of a load for a blazer? Also has anybody bought flexsteele seats. They look pretty nice but how do they hold up? I am thinking of putting some of those little monitors in the headrest and hooking it up to a PS2! Would make the trips from Boise to Jackson a little shorter for the passengers. Thanks for all your replies. If I keep asking questions then maybe I will be able to get rid of this label!

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would jump up to the 3.73's and go 35's, if it were me...

Also, that doesn't sound bad for a towing weight behind a K5.

I had an 88 Chevy Conversion van that had Flexsteel seats in them. They were very nice and comfy! I had one break on me and I called flexsteel. After a few conversations, they offered to fix it for free, all I had to do was pay shipping to them!! Not bad considering they were already about 9-10 years old!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Man 2.76 gears....That sucks.
    Answers to questions:
    Yes alot of people make 32" tires.
    For towing 3.73's would be too small with 33's or 35's (for 33's w/ OD go for 4.11 for 36's w/ OD go for 4.56) than you will be able to tow just fine.

Do you have a tranny cooler? If not put one on. I just installed a 24,000# B&amp;M cooler on mine and it works great.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I should have elaborated. would go with the 3.73's if you stay with your current tire combo or 32's. I I agree with Tri on the lower gears for the larger tires!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And NEVER tow in overdrive with a 700r4- especially if you're pulling 5600lbs behind you!!!!!

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>