Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just something decent

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Kiblsnbits, Feb 21, 2000.

1. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

The radio in my 83 K5 sucks. its the stock radio and the tape player doesnt work, and the front speakers are going and the rear speakers have gone. I just want and normal in dash cd/radio, and some decent speakers. Im not looking for window rattling bass or anything, just something that sounds nice and isnt too expensive. Also, it would be nice if it would all fit where the speakers are now. What would you guys suggest?

2. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Come to think of it... It doesnt even have to sound that great, because anything is better than what I have now. I just want it to fit in the stock locations, and be loud enought to be heard during everyday driving. Thanks

3. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

You can pick up a low end in dash cd player with built in 4 channel amp for under $100 now days. Tape players or plain old am/fm are even cheaper. I'm guessing you have 3 1/2"er's up in dash and 4"x10"er's in the rear panels so you can get an aftermarket pair of each for probably $60 or so between the 4. You could do all this even cheaper probably (Radio Shack use to sell alot of low dollar car stereo stuff that wasn't all bad but I don't know if they still have much to offer), but if your going through the trouble you might as well spend a few buck's extra and get decent stuff. Changing dash speakers is not something most people want to do all the time. Also, you will probably need an adapter kit to mount most recievers because the factory radio is larger than the majority of common (and affordable) replacement ones. Take a look at the Sunday ad's for some of the larger electronic chains like Circuit City and Best Buy to get a feel for what name brand stuff will cost you. Even alot of chain automotive places have low end replacement stereos available. It's hard to give a real good answer or specifics because there is a ton of stuff available but you should be able to replace everything with "good as new" equivelents or probably better for $100 to $150..

Good Luck,

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

You also might want to change out the rear 4x10 for a pair of 6x9 that are more comon and they sell boards with the hole already cut into it for them. As for stereo as stock you are talking about a dual shaft model of a radio. No one makes a CD/Radio for that kind of hole so you'll need to eather look for a dual shaft deck or cut the metal and plastic to take a DIN mount style of a deck.

C'moe

5. KGBLAZER83

KGBLAZER83 Registered Member

texan is on the money radio shack has some really good stuff people just laugh at that but my whole home system is from them optumus is the brand they sell. and my systems sounds better than most of my friends for way lower dollars, they have really good prices on car audio i got some 6 x 9 there for 40 bucks on sale and they sound great. call them kibbles they wont do you wrong for what you want STAY AWAY FROM THE SWAP MEETS YOU WILL GET BURNED.

blaze on!!!!!