Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just spent an hour searching- Lift brands and ride quality?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First of all, I've already checked out the spring rate table here at CK5 and read A LOT of posts about ride quality differences between the various brand names out there.

I've come to the conclusion that BDS and EZ-Ride are the lift kits of choice if you want to maintain a somewhat smooth ride.

HOWEVER, due to the fact that I'm in Canada, some brands are easier to get and the difference in price between brands is definitely going to limit my choices. The guy I'm dealing with is going to get back to me tomorrow with a couple of more options but right now I'm looking at either a Skyjacker or Superlift system(both 4").

I need some honest opinions on ride quality of these 2 brands(Opinions on other brands are welcome, too). Keep in mind that this truck is a daily driver/family vehicle. I'm also curious to learn about how much these springs sag after awhile. I don't want to have to replace springs in 5 years.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: Just spent an hour searching- Lift brands and ride quality

If SkyJacker & SuperLift are pretty much the easiest options for you to get then go with SuperLift. They will last longer and are pretty much a better ride. If you can get BDS get them they are worth their wait in gold! I've riddin in a rig equipped with 6" BDS springs and they are awsome! JMO!
    Bill

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Just spent an hour searching- Lift brands and ride quality

Do not buy Superlift or Skyjacker no matter what you do. They use different bushings which are a pain in the ass to get replacements for.

Every other aftermarket spring uses the same bushings except these two ugly ducklings.

Unfortunately you can't have good ride quality and expect your springs not to sag. If this is a DD rig though, it probably won't matter. It's the constant flexing that is the roughest on them, especially putting them into negative arch.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got Skyjacker on the K30, I have another set of Skyjackers brand new in back of the K30, and I've also had another set of Skyjackers on a previous truck I owned. All 3 sets were the system, which is the front and rear springs.

I would not use Superlift softrides because, IMO, when the springs settle, the base where they sit on the axle perch, they do not sit or arch normally like higher arched springs look. They tend to sag right after the perch and go down slightly and then curve back up to the bolts. Kind of hard to explain without a picture of someone elses springs.

All the Skyjackers I've had sit and arch correctly with no problems. Thats why I keep using them. I had a Sub with 4" Superlifts on it once and the springs sat almost flat at the perch area and curved downward slightly and then back up. I've seen other lift brands do this, too, but not once ever seen any Skyjackers do it.

Now about the forward front spring bushing, like Tim was saying, they can and can't be hard to find. Gotta know where to look. ORD sells them in both greasable and non-greasable. The forward bushings are the exact same size as the rearward bushings and shackle bushings, too. Just the sleeve is thinner walled for the 9/16" bolt.

I've got plans to buy another set of Skyjackers hopefully soon for a future buildup of a different truck later. Gonna go with the 8" front and rear springs and rework them.

Right now, I'm a loyal customer to Skyjacker and am a little partial to Rancho, too. I'm staying away from any manufacturer that I see springs with the sagging problem at the perch end. When I see the slight sag on these, it appears like a small "w", if you understand that. Just stretch that "w" out and you will see the softride Superlifts do the same thing.

Hopefully someone will understand what I'm talking about here and post up some pics of the sagging perch area springs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Can Can

Thanks for the quality reply, Wes!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

How do the Skyjackers ride? I gotta stay with a softer spring in order to keep Kim happy!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, ORD has them available. That's where I'm getting mine (on order right now).

However, JC Whitney, Energy Suspension, etc. do not carry them but they have them for everything else.

7. thatK30guy

Mine ride good, as did the previous trucks. The trick to making a good soft ride is in the shock selection you choose from and how much you torque the nuts to all the spring bolts at the hangers and shackles. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif In other words, choose your shocks wisely, don't be afraid to spend some dough on some quality shocks (hint: Rancho 9000 adjustables). And don't go overboard tightening down the nuts and bolts when you install the lift. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. thatK30guy

Forgot one more very important suggestion for better ride quality: tire pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, ORD has them available. That's where I'm getting mine (on order right now).

However, JC Whitney, Energy Suspension, etc. do not carry them but they have them for everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I'm never getting non-greasable bushings again as those are a PITA to get out and the bolts rust to the sleeves. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

ORD (or Daystar for that matter) will see me anyday as a spring bushing customer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Well I bought a set of used Superrides and took them apart, smoothed the surfaces and edges, inserted uhmpwe strips and installed them. They ride a little stiff but I also did the ford towers and Doetsch shock setup.

Yesterday I went hill climbing and disconnected the swaybar. Drove it to work today, what a difference. Ride is very nice, bump steer has greatly reduced and feels pretty stable. Thats the best ride mod ive made so far /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

oh yea, it rode smoother at 29psi but a bit soft and saw wear so now run at 32 and thats pretty good.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ORD (or Daystar for that matter) will see me anyday as a spring bushing customer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably why I've been waiting over two weeks for my ORD stuff and haven't canceled. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Can Can

Funny you mention that. The guy I've been dealing with recommended that I remove the sway bar if I opt for the Superlifts. He said I would notice that the truck would definitely ride better without it........ /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably why I've been waiting over two weeks for my ORD stuff and haven't canceled. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just ordered front and rear greasable bushings and HD shackles the week before last. Still waiting and no complaints either. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I used to have Skyjacker front springs on my k5. They rode and flexed well. I wouldn't hesitate buying them again. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just wondering if you get into the states much. If shipping is the bad part, maybe you could have some TC's or BDS's ship to someone to hold for you till you can meet up to take them home. Just thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. Can Can

What would be PERFECT is if I could order the kit through someone in Montana or Idaho. Then when I came to pick them up someone could help me install the kit, too!!!!

Any offers, lads?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif