Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just starting my 6.0 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by billyjo, Mar 15, 2006.

1. billyjo

billyjo Registered Member

I'm getting ready to swap a 2005 6.0 into my 72 K/5. I'm looking for some info from some people who have done it or know something about it. I want to mate my new motor to my NV4500 in my mind this seems simple. All I think that I need is the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, master, slave, and throwout bearing from a 2500 Silverado and I should be set right? When searching ebay I saw a NV4500 bearing retainer for an internal slave cylinder:crazy: I'm guessing I need that as well but I don't know what it does or if it will bolt up:( Anybody got any input or a schematic from a newer truck that shows how all of this goes together? Anything will help.

Thanks,

Bill

2. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

So how did it turn out? As much power as you wanted? I've been waiting to see you post some info on it but got couldn't wait any longer.

3. billyjo

Ok here is an update:

I just got back from a trip to MT from WA on which I've logged over 2200 miles. So far no problems to report, the only thing that I am unhappy with is the fact that it's running rich which is hurting my mileage.

Here is an overview of what I've got. 72 K/5 with a 05 6.0 with a radix supercharger connected to an NV4500 and NP205. I've installed a Lingenfelter cam, Z06 valve springs and a LS2 90mm throttle body from a corvette. My setup is drive by wire so there aren't any cables. This combination got mileage as high as 13 but I averaged 12ish. Once I get the tune down I expect I can 15 @ 75 miles an hour.

You asked about the power, all I can say is that it seems to have plenty;) . It makes my old 383 feel like dog and I never thought that I would say that. It's hard to explain but just a little throttle in 5th gear on the freeway is all it takes to get around just about anyone. I did go over 100mph once while passing 2 semi trailers but that was just to fast. My tuning software is able to calculate torque and I've seen it as high as 552 ft lbs. Not sure if I believe it's accurate but that is definately in the ball park with my setup.

I'm very happy with the way it runs and the way my conversion turned out. There were times when I didn't think I would ever get done but with a little thought and engineering I was able to fab or have machined parts that I needed to make everything fit.

I've skimmed over alot of the details so if there is anything that your curious about let me know and I'll try to elaborate some more.

Thanks,

Bill

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pics please.

5. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

will you do a write up on the swap, please, purty please, even if you would just write it out on regular paper and you could mail it to me. i want to do that swap so bad i can taste it. gives me a woody!!but i have no idea where to start. did you mount the diagnostic port where the local chevy dealer can just plug up and test everything? and 2 simple questions what adaptor did you use to put the 205 behind the nv4500? i'm wanting to do a doubler, so can i get an adaptor to put the 203 behind the nv4500?

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Was it difficult bolting the NV4500 to the 6.0L? I'm aiming for a 6.0L / NV4500 / pass side drop NP241 swap myself :)

Anything that particularly stood out as a "problem" less the wiring?

7. blazin_blazer

the 6.0L has the same bolt pattern as chevy sbc and bbc.

8. billyjo

I'll start with getting the motor in. I used S&P motor mounts which are supposed to work with original mounts and they did so that part was easy. When I did my first test fit I could see that with the large oil pan on the 6.0, that I was going to have a problem with the engine cross member. I unbolted the cross member and got the engine where it needed to be and then fought getting the cross member in. After several hours I could see that it wasn't going to fit without removing some of the bosses that are cast into the block and the oil pan. I got the grinder out, did a little shaving and several trys and hours later the block was sitting where it needed to be. It is a snug fit, I'll post some pics when the weather breaks so you can see what I mean.

I would say that this was one of the more difficult things that I came up against with in my swap.

Next was bolting the transmission to the motor. I had checked online and you can buy a new truck with a 6.0 and an NV4500 from the factory. So I called the dealer and ordered a new bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing and throw out bearing. I had tried to checked and see if there where any other options but couldn't find anyone that had experience with this so that's why I went with the factory parts. That and I didn't want to get everything hooked up only to find out I couldn't drive it.

When everything was bolted together it was obvious that I would be able to use all of the factory mounting holes for my drivetrain. This was a big plus for me because I didn't want to have to drill more holes into my frame. It was at this point I thought that the K/5 was made for the swap.

I'll post more later when I get some time, I'm getting ready for work now.

Thanks,

Bill

9. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

How many hours can you guestimate that this project took you? I see that your origional post was in March, so I know this wansn't something that took only a week or two. But, I'm guessing that you weren't working on it straight through.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

How did you hook the 4500 to the 205? What version of the 205 did you start with? What did you do for exhaust? Headers? Do you run cats, or 02 simulators?

11. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pics please - this sounds very cool!

12. billyjo

It's hard to say how much time it took me to do the conversion, I'm guessing that someone who was motivated and knew what they were getting into could do the swap fairly quickly. That is if they had all the parts.

I used the AA parts to mate the NV4500 to my NP205 and I used my original NP205.

Once I had the transmission and engine bolted together I had to trim my tunnel cover a bit to get the shifters out. This part of trimming and patching was quite easy.

Next came trying to figure out how to hook up the hydralic throw out bearing. S&P makes a bracket for the early model camaros so I thought I would try that, didn't work.

Well I needed a bracket so I drew one up on CAD and had it burned out. I had to add a bend to it but it fit nicely. I then needed a slave cylinder and the one I bought to go with hydralic bearing wouldn't work. Again I turned to the first gen camaro guys and bought a McLeod adjustable and attatched it to my bracket. When I fabbed my bracket I already had the McLeod MC in hand and knew I would be using it. I had to extend the rod with a piece of threaded rod and coupler but when I was done the angle of my bracket with the cylinder lined it right up witht he existing hole in my firewall and allowed me to bolt it to the exisiting hole in my clutch pedal.

The only problem now was that the hose attatchment on the MC was pointed towards the engine. This wouldn't give me enough room to plug the hose into it. Well with a little grinding I was able to turn the fitting around and get it placed where I wanted it.

Well just when I thought I was out of the woods with the throw out bearing I went to hook it up. Wouldn't you know it, both ends are a female connection. Again I turned to McLeod and they sent me an adapter hose. The only downside to this is if you use the chevy throw out bearing and the adapter hose is that you have about 8' of braided hose.

I bled the assembly and my pedal wasn't returning quite the way I wanted it to so I had to add an additional spring to it. It may be that the original spring is warn out. If anybody knows anything about how that spring works with the pedal I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Next "Project Exhaust"

Bill

13. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

is the tranny in the stock location? if not where is it in relation to stock?

14. blazin_blazer

almost like it was made for the swap huh....i don't need to much more convincing and my truck will be sitting for another year as i do a engine tranny swap....say AA has the stuff to put the 205 on the nv4500..cool

15. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why not get a passenger side drop NP241? Its found in the 88 ish - 91 K5s, Burbs, and crewcabs. I bought one with a mechanical speedo cable (1 year only, pretty desirable) for a couple hundred bucks. They bolt straight up to an NV4500. You'd need to get new driveshafts with the NV4500 regardless, so no worries there.

NP241 is a nicer tranny to shift anyways, and is rated for as much torque, if not more than the 205. Its half the weight, and is easier to shift as well. Only dissadvantage is that you need to make sure you protect the case with a heavy skid plate, they will break open real easy if they get nailed by something.

16. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

What headers did you use?