Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just swapped motors i have wiring problems now!!!help???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Aug 13, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

i have an 88 k5 that i blew the stock 350 about a month ago. so i was low on cash and wanted to get the truck runnin so i went out and bought a carburated 350 from aa guy i knew thats out of an 86 suburban. i got everything in good but now wwhat do i do about the wiring?? mainly my prob is in the distrubtor.. theres 2 plug-ins and obviously noone of my existing wires plug in the main plug-in has four wiries goin in to the connect and i just need to find out what those 4 wires do the can hard wire from there. anyone have any diagrams that could help me out on this???

thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You could of used your computer intake and distributor with a little work and keep the EFI .

You are going to have to run a 12 volt wire to the distributor if you intend on running a carb and regular ignition . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. ilikeitloud

HMMMMMMMM INT interesting ne more input??? anybody? please

4. pauly383

If you are going to run the old style motor you need a 12 volt wire run form ignition circuit ( hot on run ) to the power ( batt ) terminal of an old style HEI ignition . The end is 1/4 inch male spade terminal . It is as simple as that . If the 86 motor has a ESC/EST distributor , you may want to change it to a regular HEI , and run non computer carb also . You aren't going to pass emissions or anything anyway with the 86 motor /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

BTW those 4 wires are for the 88 , its a computer controlled ignition/fuel truck . Leave those wires alone so you can go back to EFI later /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. ilikeitloud

alrighty well would it be easier just to take off the old intake and use the old distrubtor and go with efi?? i have the old motor sittin in my garage with EVERYthing still on it and i have all the wiriing still connected in the truck. its sounding like it is at this point in time and i would like the idea of bein the only one in our group that fuel injected.

6. pauly383

I beleive the center intake bolts may be at different angles on 86 and older . The mounting surface is the same and it will sit on the older heads . You may just have to grind the bolt holes on the intake a little to get center bolts in . Maybe someone will verify for me . It is so much nicer to run EFI if you already have it . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes four center bolt holes of intake are different intake but you can egg out the hole sin the intake it will work, dotnm worry about it,

or just run one wire from ignition switched source to your 86 older large cap HEI dizzy and be done with it
    ignore all the wires, loop them out of the way, or just swap TBI intake and Dizzy on the carb heads engine

either will work