Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just swapped out dana 44 axle shafts..missing something?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Mar 11, 2005.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I just swapped in my new axle shafts in my 3/4t Dana 44 but I feel as if I missed something....
    [​IMG]
    Thats where the axle goes into the tube...same on both sides. But it seems odd that there is a gap here almost like it needs a seal or something...is that right? My old axles didnt have anything there either and I wasnt thinking when I did it...so its done...do I need to rip this apart again in install something? if so what? parts numbers? maybe a pic or two would work.
    Thanks for your help...oh is there any kinda torque specs to the brake backing plate or the 4 prong nut? I just kinda did what felt right.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Nope, that's right. The seals that keep the diff lube in the pumpkin are on each side of the carrier bearings. It looks like you have the shields that are attached right inward from the yokes. Those will keep the big stuff out of the tube. It is still possible to get dirt, sand & water in there, but it won't hurt in moderation.:waytogo:

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Sweet, thanks for the info, shields inward of the yoke? I have a shield on the outer part of the yoke, dont have one on the inner half..but the gap itself would prevent large objects from getting in there.

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'll attest to that..last time I wheeled the beach I had to pull my carrier out to blow all the freakin sand out.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

When I read your response I had to do a double take.:D I went and looked at this picture:
    [​IMG]

My old '71 D44 had little shields inward of the yokes on the long shafts. Obviously there are no shields on my '77 D44 long shafts. But the base of the yoke is a bit more "square" to accomplish the same thing.:D

So yea.....the yoke "seals" against the tube to keep the big stuff out.:waytogo: