Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just swapped out front D44...Procedure for making turning/steering equal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

After swapping out the front diff today, the steering wheel and turning radius are all out of whack...Steering wheel isn't straight and I can turn right a LOOONG ways and left very little....I Remember reading about this awhile back...Can someone outline the steps to straighten it out for me?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

(1) Drive in a straight line a few feet without your hands on the steering wheel so that the tires will find a straight path.
    (2) Now disconnect the drag link from the steering box.
    (3) Now turn your steering wheel all the way to either direction and then back the other way as you count how many turns it takes to go lock to lock, now turn it back half that many turns to center the steering box and adjust the drag link until you can reconnect it to the steering box.
    (4) Drive the truck and see if it turns both ways evenly.
    (5) If your steering wheel is not centered now you need to remove it and recenter it.
    (6) Now if the wheel is not centered you need to remove the drag link for a fine tune adjustment.

3. Zeus33rd

WooHoo....Thanks dude. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

No problem, let me know how it works out. Greg and I finished his 8 lug conversion today. We just need to install the rear braided flex lines and bleed the brakes.

5. Zeus33rd

Coolio.....I've gotta get hot on an 8 lug conversion after BlazerFest...No time to do it before....lol. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    (5) If your steering wheel is not centered now you need to remove it and recenter it

[/ QUOTE ]
    This step is unnecessary. If you've gone through the other steps and the wheel is a little off, loosen the two bolts on the draglink adjuster sleeve. Turn the key forward to unlock the steering column and adjust the draglink while it's connected until the wheel is centered. If you have followed the other steps as outlined it won't be far off center anyways.

Rene

7. 4X4HIGH

Typicaly I would agree with you, but these trucks are old and some people don't know how to correctly adjust the steering wheel so they take it off and move it which would make it necessary to do what I said.