Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just switched to Tuff Country from Rough Country

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have had the RC springs up front for 3-4 years, giving me a lurching jump from every bump. I just put in some TC EZ rides. Wow! Apart from the ride transformation, let me fill you in on the differences between the springs:

1) The TC spring is 1/2" shorter in overall length.
    2) The TC spring has the center bolt 1/2" further forward, putting the front axle 1/2" further forward. This is about perfect
    3) The RC has 5 leaves, the TC has 3
    4) The TC spring eyes are not completely closed, so the grease from the greaseable bushings squirts out of the spring eye.
    5) The front height is within 1/4" of where it was before.]
    6) The TC springs have teflon pads, the RC springs don't.

I have way more brake dive now, but it is well worth it.

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My Rough Country springs have the teflon pads.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

glad you like them....your post just confirms rough countrys are that rough

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I actually like my Rough Country springs now that I've removed a leaf from the pack. Mine also have the teflon pads in them. Dunno, but if they ever break I'm going to BDS. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yeah, Rough Country is a stiff ride for sure, but, they DO work flex wise, so keep that in mind

I'm workingon going from 4" RC to 6" TC, I hope it rides as good as I hope it will

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I too am going to get rid of my very stiff RC for a soft TC. My rig beats the hell out of me all day /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I feel every little pebble on the road lol

As soon as I work up the motivation, I am going to put on the new lift and sawzall up the nasty rough country springs.

BTW - My RC's also have the teflon pads.

7. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I wonder if anyone can compare the ride of the Rough Country springs to that of the stock 3/4 Ton /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif 8600 GVWR Suspension. One of the things that I like most about my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif is that I can load the $(*&^$ out of it and not worry about it sagging too much.

I dont remember offhand how many springs each pack has, but off the top of my head, the front has 4-5 (dual front shock setup, beefy) and the rear has 7-8. Without some serious meat in there, like my brother and a cpl friends (1000 lbs), 30+ gallons fuel (200lbs) and gear (500+ lbs), it really rides smooth, although if it's empty except for driver, it does get a little bumpy going over uneven surfaces.

I might actually wanna look into a stiff lift w/ lots of springs in the packs in order to keep the spring rates close to original.

Thoughts...suggestions?

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, Rough Country is a stiff ride for sure, but, they DO work flex wise, so keep that in mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, you will get nearly twice the flex out of a spring that is half as stiff!. Please don't take all of these numbers literally, but just think about this example: If your rig weighs 5500lbs, you probably have about 1600lbs or so on each front spring when sitting still. Going off camber, you should be able to get like 65% of the vehicle weight on one corner, which is 3575lbs. That's a difference of 1975 lbs, which equates to 3.3 inches of compression in the RC spring. The TC spring should move 6.6" under the same conditions.

This is even more true for droop, because your axles and tires don't weigh nearly as much as the truck. You can't force the spring to droop. But the difference between a light spring and a stiff spring there assumes that you have already switched to longer shocks (and brakelines!).

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I was just saying, if you have RC or can get RC cheap, don't overlook it as a decent solution

10. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

i have noticed something about the leaf springs we sell out of our store and that is wether the are rc,rancho, or even skyjacker they all have the same style of painted on part numbers. Kinda like if they came over on the boat and somebody just paints a few for rc and then for rancho and then for skyjacker. Draw your own opinon. I run the skyjacker springs and a buddy of mine runs the rc and the both ride very very simialar. I would say that you run what you can afford because i dont think that there is that big of a difference between them.