Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just thinking...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazerman78, Dec 9, 2002.

1. blazerman78

blazerman78 Registered Member

I was looking at an early 70s (70-72) 3/4 ton GMC pickup that is lying in the woods behind my house, and it seems to have a full-floating front axle (probably a dana, from what I've heard), and I was wondering if this would fit in the front of my 78 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif? I know I would need a new u-joint for the front driveshaft, but would i have to do any modifications to the driveshaft? Is this worth the time and effort? I'm not sure if it is any good and I know it would need at least a rebuild. Thanks for any help, guys!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

All the fronts are full floating, what you want to know is what model, D44 or D60, and if it's closed knuckle or open.
    And then you need to find out what is still good in it and if it's worth fixing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think it'd be fun. Is it closed or open ???? Disc or drums ????

4. blazerman78

blazerman78 Registered Member

I may sound like a complete idiot /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, but how do I tell if it is closed knuckle or open? I'm kind of new to 4wd and all the technical stuff about axles, but i have learned alot here! Thanks you guys!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well it would be good for the steering knuckles (as long as it's disc) but that axle is weaker than waht's in your truck. It's a D44. It's also going to be an external hub D44 with smaller than 297 U-Joints that are in your 78. You could mix and match and put your spindles on it if it has a good gear ratio. if the truck was a 6 cyl it may even have 4.10's. that would be a bonus. The rear spring purch spacing will be worng and need to be moved. You can upgrade to the bigger u-joints from a after 73 axle. Or you could put a set of warns and CTM's in it. I would right off the bat expect to put $500 in it for seals and tierods then what ever the axle shafts you decide to use are going to set you back.