Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just thought I'd share

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, May 8, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Just thought I'd share with ya'll what I did today.... Took the spring perches and shock mounts off the 14b. Still need to grind the welds smooth, clean it, and spray on some paint on it....then get disc brake brackets, D44 rotors and calipers, and put in the spool and gears. Then I do the D60.

Then I have to find something to put 'em in. :D

DSC00794.JPG

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

what did you use to get the perches off?

3. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

:thumb: good job! it's amazing how much you can get done in a short time but some stuff takes forever :mad:

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Cutting wheel on the welds, and a three pound hammer once they were free. Took me so long 'cause the air compressor wasn't keeping up. I'd make 2 or 3 passes, then I'd have to wait a couple minutes while the compressor built pressure back up. Sucks. The only tool the compressor has a problem with is the cutting wheel. I'll smooth out the welds tomorrow. But I did cut into the axle tube about 3-4 millimeters when I was hackin' into one of the welds....not too happy about that, and I'm wondering what I can do to fix it, and if I hurt the axle any. I'll get pics of the 'cut' if anyone thinks I should worry about it.

5. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Oh, yea....forgot to mention: faawkin' axle fell off the jackstands while I was working on it. Good thing I wear steel toed boots when I work.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Nah, man....got rid of that a long time ago....

Anyway.... Now that I've gotten to this point, what's a good way of cleaning and prepping an axle for paint?? Just scrub it with a wire brush? Is there a chemical or something that I can use to make cleaning the tubes, diff housing, and all the other various parts easier, and better to prep for paint????

:cool1:

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Move it outside and let it sit in the sun. Once the housing is good and warm cover it with Easy Off, let it stand for about 20 minutes and then hose it off. It'll be clean as a whistle.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry about it, the axle tube is about 1/2 inch thick.

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

No shiat.... Well, I'll try that, but won't it make a mess in the driveway?

Really? But even still, hasn't that cut weakened the axle at that point??

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I just wire brushed my 14 bolt a couple weekends ago. Took it down to bare metal then painted it with Rustolem Hammered Black. After I took it down to bare metal I just wiped it down with brake clean before painting. Decided I wanted to round out some edges last weekend and was really impressed how well the paint stuck when I hit it with the grinder.

12. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

its not a big enough cut to make it that big of a weakness, you should be fine.

if you wanted you might be able to weld it in that one spot, or would that not do anything???

13. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

No welder here at the house.... It's on the 'to purchase' list, but don't have one, or I just would have laid a bead in the cut and smoothed it out to begin with.

Thanks for all the suggestions. When I get 'em cleaned up, I'll let ya'll know how it went. Oh, and I don't have Rustoleum, I just bought some $.50 rattle can black at Advance Auto....I figured black was black.