Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just thought you burb guys would like to see what I've been up to...PICS

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Oct 6, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just thought you burb guys would like to see what I\'ve been up to...PICS

My summer project

Started with this-
    [​IMG]

Spent time rebuilding to get this-
    [​IMG]

Swapping in the 14 bolt-
    [​IMG]

And, for the rest of the pictures, click on the link in my signature. I'm now running with the 3/4 ton crowd /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Re: Just thought you burb guys would like to see what I\'ve been up to...PICS

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Sweet!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Did my sub that way sometime in 01 (i think??). What was your 'donor' vehicle? Mine was a 91 and has those HUGE (13") brakes as well!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Bought the axles from rugger03 (Erik) and they came from a '79 3/4 ton pickup I believe...and yup, those 13" drums are bigguns. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sweet, lookin good....mine will be in the 3/4ton crowd in a month or two /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I converted my '90 over to 3/4-ton last summer. Did you shave the bottom lip off of the 14-bolt before you installed it? I found it's WAY easier to do it when the axle is upside down and NOT under a truck... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup, but I only went about 3/8"...nothing too crazy.

7. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

What did you paint em with and what sort of exterior prep did you do before painting? I changed diff fluids over the weekend and noticed my stock 3/4T /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif axles (GM10, 14BSF) are mostly bare along the tubes.

I'd like to address this before monsoon season sets in here, and thought you might have some good info/tricks on painting axles.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

1) Scrape off dirt, grease, and grime that builds up on axle - especially on the diff housing
    2) Wire wheel the whole thing - yes, this takes forever
    3) Hand-Sand wherever you can get at
    4) Wash with soap and water
    5) Dry off, then when dry, blast it with compressed air to make sure all the dirt and stuff is off
    6) Lay on two coats of engine enamel - I used a low-gloss black engine enamel from Wal-mart and didn't use any primer

That's what I did. The axles look pretty good. I may have to touch up some spots where I had to spin the axle on jackstands when the paint hadn't totally cured, but it shouldn't be a big deal.
    Living in Wisconsin, I'm not too worried about them looking good for a long time...I just felt that it would be better to put something nicer under my truck than I was taking out.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Sweet !!!! Looks like that is the going thing this summer....

Beast388 just swapped up to 3/4 ton, 4.10's and raer disc.
    (Sorry for stealing your thunder) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am still working on my 3/4 ton swap with 4.56's, Power Locks F/R, and rear disc too....

I also bought an axle from 'Ruggers house of parts'

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Nice work Steve!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Like SUBFAN said, I just finished my swap too. It is nice to upgrade to nice rebuilt axles. Now on to aquiring wheels!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 87roadwhale

87roadwhale Registered Member

Suh Wheet!!!
    Glen
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the swap! Any major problems along the way? What's that you say new axle, time to go wheeling??? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Nope, no major problems...just the couple of head-scratchers that come with every project/modification.

[ QUOTE ]
    What's that you say new axle, time to go wheeling???

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was hoping you'd say that! Absolutely. Fall isn't a good time for me because of school and hunting on the weekends that I'm free, but how's a winter run sound /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've got basically all of January off from school (I'll be working, but my schedule is very flexible). Let me know what you think about a snow run /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

A snow run sounds great! I'll have to work double time to get jimmy back up a running. And sell the '92 blazer I bought. And fix the oil leak in the '86 diesel blazer i just bought. Oh how the list keeps growing..... What rims did you end up going with for the conversion?

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And sell the '92 blazer I bought. And fix the oil leak in the '86 diesel blazer i just bought.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Holy crap, Tony. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Collecting a small fleet, are you?

[ QUOTE ]
    What rims did you end up going with for the conversion?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Steel 15's /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'd go with some nicer looking 16's, but don't want to dish out the cash for new tires....yet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll let you know about a snow run when the time comes closer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif