Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just took my concealed hangun course!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, May 22, 2004.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Pretty boring for most of the 10 hours, but the required 50 rounds at the end were fun. I brought a Sig 229 in .357sig and shot the best of the group, which really surprised me.
    We shot 20 shots at 7', 20 shots at 14', and 10 shots at 21'. I had one flyer at 14' that still landed in the torso, but closer to the edge than all the others.

So in 45 days or so, assuming they don't find out about the bank robberies /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif , I'll have my carry license! Pretty exicted as I've been wanting to do this for a long time and finally did it.

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

And now your concealed weapon is known about by everyone on this board... Oooops... LOL!

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

it's cool to have, but alot of responsability. you never realize what a hot head you are till you start carrying, them every time something goes wrong, you think I can solve this by bringing my gun into it. wrong answer. so I just don't carry any more the temptation is to great to just "finish the job" if you know what I mean. too many idiots out there, so I just leave the guns locked at home till it's time to go put holes in sumpm' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

We all have a CCWP. It's called the 2nd Amendment./forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifAllright everybody...I know..I just had to say it. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Cool, signed up last weekend myself. I get to sit through 8hrs Saturday and then get to wait 12 weeks to find out if I get the permit.

On a lighter note, I picked up a PT100 , another ruger22 w/scope/laser, and a Berreta32 today. Man I reeeeally like the 40cal, minimal kick and less squeeze. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man, I just had to spend 10 minutes at the sherrifs office and $10 bucks

I really wouldn't mind the test and qualifying, I'd hate the wait though

I can hit bowling pins at 20 or so feet, but the funny thing is, the covering on them, when shot, melts back together or something when the bullets finishes it's path, so when I go to look at the pin after I nail it, it looks like I didn't, kind of pissed me off. 45acp just doesn't blow them apart like the .44M did, but that thing was very impractical.

ANYWAY, I doubt anyone on the board is going to use this info in conjunction with a crime and pop you a few times

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im gonna do this myself soon.

Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah be careful packin. A gun can get you into trouble. But it wont get you out.

9. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    .....but it wont get you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I don't know about that.......

Regardless, I think of it as a tool, just like my maglight, but louder, both on my belt

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    it's cool to have, but alot of responsability. you never realize what a hot head you are till you start carrying, them every time something goes wrong, you think I can solve this by bringing my gun into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never once thought that (seriously anyway) even once in my life... in when I was in the Marines. You're prolly right... you shouldn't be carrying. lol!

j

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A gun can get you into trouble. But it wont get you out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not true. A handgun is used for defensive purposes over 2 MILLION times a year - and the great majority are not even fired. Just showing the perp that you're armed is enough to stop the assault, robbery, etc.

As mentioned earlier, carrying a concealed weapon is a VERY HUGE RESPONSIBILITY and should NEVER be taken lightly. Yes - it WILL get you in a world of trouble if used improperly, but it just may save your a$$ (or your families) one day.

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Congratulations! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now it's your duty to talk at least three other people into getting theirs.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ok, I have a dumb question that's been bugging me for months...

What's the defining characteristic between a carbine and a regular rifle?

I found a definition of a carbine as "Short cavalry rifle classed as a rifle". Is this the best way to define a carbine, or has "carbine" become more of a model type that has some actual defining characteristics?

Every time I look at a "carbine", I can't find anything about it that makes it different than a rifle. I know I'm pretty dumb!

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BTW, congrats!! I can't wait to get mine, but sadly, it will only be a permit to keep a pistol in the house or carry it to the range or hunting... I think even LE have some silly restrictions for CCW in my county...

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

A carbine was originally defined as a short light weapon used on horseback by cavalry. It has come to mean in common usage, a rifle that is shorter and lighter than standard.

An example is the M16A2 which is the full sized version, and the M4 Carbine which has a shorter barrel and stock, usually used for close quarters combat situations.

Hope that helps.

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

5minutes in the sherrifs office and $25 got me one for 4years. Part of the reason I didn't move to NC was the gun laws. $80 a year for a permit and you had to complete the training course and tests each year (which is like $40 plus hotel fees for the weekend).... BITE ME! Thats like $150 a year for a permit /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Plus I didn't get the job anyways /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Only thing I would change in Indiana about gun laws is the person to person sales... there should be some form to fill out and send in for ownership/transfer. Right now you fill out a receipt with both signitures and if you get pulled over with one and they run the numbers you have to have the receipt /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Even DON, of Don's Guns liked that idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    That guy dresses in all white and drives an all white vet with white convertable top and white interior /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif licences plates is 'GUNS' /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Ran into him one morning get breakfast at MickeyD's about two years ago. Cool guy, great laugh /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

They recently changed all new and renewed permits in this area from concealed to just carry. Don't know what that means.

18. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    $25 got me one for 4years.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's cheap!! KY's is $60 for a 5 year permit. Training was $75. I didn't realize IND had a person-to-person bill of sale law. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Only gun I've ever "bought" in IND was from Kesler's across the river (870 turkey gun).

19. Resurrection_Joe

$10 for 4 years here

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I found a definition of a carbine as "Short cavalry rifle classed as a rifle". Is this the best way to define a carbine, or has "carbine" become more of a model type that has some actual defining characteristics?

Every time I look at a "carbine", I can't find anything about it that makes it different than a rifle. I know I'm pretty dumb!

[/ QUOTE ]

carbines tend to fire lower power (often handgun caliber) ammo and are generally shorter. AFAIK, those are the only 2 defining characteristics.

j