Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just venting (somebody tried to steal my K5)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foxman, Apr 25, 2005.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

That's what you get for having something nice, (I guess). I parked my truck in front of a church in Detroit for a class meeting on a Saturday 10:00 - 12:00. I always use the club. They smashed out the passanger window, pea;led the steering column appart like plastic and UI guess they got "Spooked" becuause they didn't start it or cut the steering wheel but they did get my Clarion CD/mp3 player (I neerly welded it in, and they bent the sh!t out of the dash and sliced the wires to get it ) and what pisses me off even more, I had my Bob seger CD in the player. What a bummer, I guess the good thing is that they didn't get the whole thing. Anyway, I put a post in the parts wanted but figured I'd dip into here as well. I need a tilt column and a passanger side front window if anyone is looking to unload.

P.S. I figure never drop your guard and always expect that someone is going to try to steal your stuff and that's just the way it is...

Jeremy

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Your not alone on the theft.

My vehicle, my wife's, my brother's, my neighbors, et.

My brother's vehicle was broken into right outside the warehouse door where he runs shipping. He had parked it there specifically to keep an eye on it, they still broke in. My wife & I have had sveral break-ins right in our driveway.

Some theives are pretty bold.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Alarm system time....!!!

Put sirens INSIDE the cab as well. That way the thief will really have to suffer to get your goodies next time.

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

that sucks man. my buddy got his car stolen from the lot across from st. andrews theater (i think thats what its called). what part of detroit ya from? i live just north of the palace.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That sucks man, sorry to hear it!

My car got jacked while parked in my driveway under a mercury light. 9 times out of 10 I lock it, but the one night I forgot to and someone was waiting... Luckily I peek out the window every so often and caught them. Called the cops and he was taken doen with a Tazer! :D

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of putting a siren inside the cab! I think I'll do that this weekend.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That would be one of the reasons we moved downriver , and then eventually to AZ .

Christmas 1982 , pops 1979 Dodge Ram with BFG's , stolen on December 21 , with some presents behind the seat :mad:

Sorry about your luck . I too have had my stereo stolen .

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i like that idea -- and with his hearing loss the cops will beat him for not lessening if he gets caught :D

9. TucsonK5

TucsonK5 1/2 ton status

AZ has some of the worst vehicle theft rates in the nation! Out of my CLOSE friends (~10) at least 5 have had cars stolen, usually from the driveway!

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got all the parts you will need to fix your column here, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Just get me pictures of the damage to the column, and I'll send you all the parts you need :)

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I HATE theives! that sucks. this story wont help your situation but you might like the story, my brother and his friend went hunting one weekend,they took my bros suberban. parked his buds truck in front of my bros house. when they were coming down my bros street they saw somebody in his friends truck. they realized this a hole was trying to steel it so they stoped right at the driver door so the theif could not get out that way and he wasnt fast enough to get out the pass side. so my bro jumped out his truck along with his friend out his driver door too, went around to pass side of truck and pulled this f@^k out and gave him a beating with in an inch of his life. my bro is basically an angry mean scrapin sob that most are smart not to mess with, not to mention a big gun advocate that beleives in shoot first ask questions later. this pos theif does not know how lucky he was not to be killed, they just got back from hunting for crine out loud. any ways hope that true story helps alittle bit. OH and when the cops came thet did nothing to my bro and his friend. said we didnt see a thing and took that terd away.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To prevent/lessen the chance of your column getting destroyed again, (or the truck getting stolen) go get one of those steadfast collars, or one of the red clamp on removable ones. I know they work.

Nothings failsafe, but as you found out, the steering column is the weak spot of all the '73+ vintage trucks, and most cars too. Thieves know this, which is why they are stolen.

I'd *suspect* 99 times out of 100, a visible (no tinted windows) column guard would make a thief walk right past your truck. If nothing else, they break into it, steal your stereo and any other loose stuff, and leave. If they want it bad enough, anything will be stolen, but GM's with these columns are so easy to steal its effortless. Besides, columns get expensive.

I'm no car thief, but 5 minutes in any wrecking yard could teach someone how to steal these trucks just by the examples there.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Another cool thing would be to take a factory radio , cut the whole front off with a saw . Perhaps a spare faceplate for your radio from E-bay , a little glue , and thieves wouldn't bother .... Or have a 2 shaft radio in the factory spot , and your real radio in the center console where ya can't see it :D

14. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I can't find the page but i remember seeing a product in australia that people mount under the vehicle as a way of deterring car hi-jacking....
    it is a blade or flat bar that swings out and disables the would be hi-jacker at the touch of a button, i believe they called it the "chopper".

that would make a painful reminder to anybody that broke into a vehicle that was armed with such a device but you would need 1 on each side.

15. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Not to mention some DAMN good lawyers for when he sues yer butt off! They have some flamethrowers in africa that mount under the drivers door to cook would be carjackers, but thats africa! I want to mount my seats on a rear pivot so when the alarm goes off, some actuators tilt the whole seat backwards!! Hard to steal if your in the backseat! Oh, and the other one was some form of a smoke machine to fill the interior with so they can't see. Oh yeah! Another one, wire up a 200,000 volt stun gun to your seat bottom and hook up to the alarm. Hmm, can you tell I hate theives?

16. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Jaguar put a 10,000 volt stun system on a few of their cars over in Europe... due to liability issues, we can't have those here, but it encompassed the whole car... if a thief attempted a break in and the sensors were tripped, it would send 10k volts through the whole car, effectively incapacitating the crook... and yes, 10,000 volts is enough to knock you on your ass for a good long while.

17. garlicbreath

10,000 volts through the whole car? That seems like it would wipe out a few electrical things.

18. garlicbreath

Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere where I could shoot an intruder in my house and not worry about finding a lawyer first. Sheesh!! Someone broke into my house 6 months ago and stole me and my wifes bikes, 2700.00 worth, and he did it at noon in broad daylight!! Let's just say the NAACP would probably say he deserved them!! :confused: :confused: What led up to the criminal having rights?

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

That sucks man. Im curious, is your truck stock, clean, lifted or what? Im just wondering what it looked like because I have always been a little leary about someone jacking stuff out of my blazer (I figure they dont have the balls to steal the whole truck, considering there isnt one like it around) but since its so high, Im sure it would create a scene if they tried to steal any junk out of my blazer.

20. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Too bad we can't shoot the bastards when they are stealing our stuff. Criminals have too many rights in this country...