Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just wanderin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Mar 7, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 12 bolt rearend. what is the biggest gears i could get stuffed in there? Can iget 4.10's. 4.56's? the whole axel thing is kinda of a blur to me. I neve plan on running bigger than 35's but want an axle that could pull it. and at what i see people pay for 14 bolts and 60's I know better than to suggest it to the wife.
    thanks for the help
    nathan

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my best friend mudboggAD and just put 4.56s in his rear 12 bolt. he has 35s too.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

For what you would pay for gears to put in a 12 bolt you could get a 14 bolt full floater for probably the same if not less and put it under your truck....

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nathan-
    ChevyCalGal's got a point there don't cha think?
    Maybe you should introduce her to the wife... they could become friends..... then you wouldn't have to do so much convincing of the wife. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna have to do that. At least i dont get in trouble for stephs flying pigs like I do for chevyfumes silicone picture. It would still take a lot of convincing. We did just buy her an entire living room suit, but were gettin me new top gaskets and a new motor. So We gotta wait until she wants something so I can get something. I gotta get her into trucks.
    nathan

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the input. this is one of the far future projects. just sittin around thinkin of ways to spend money i dont have.what about little things like drive shafts? wouldnt I have to change those.

7. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

If you go for the 14 bolt you need to deal with the whole 6 lug to 8 lug conversion of the front and new wheels. Probably well worth it for the extra beef but something to consider.

Mike

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Alrighty then, with a 12 bolt rearend I do belive you can get as low as 5.13:1 gears. Now the problem there is this, (if you alredy know this i'm sorry)when you go to a lower gear set (higher numerically) the pinion gear gets smaller, and accordingly weaker. Which is exgaratted by huge tires, which in turn is one of the many, many reasons people "upgrade" to a 3/4,1ton axle assembly. The size of the ring gear (the most noticable one when you take the cover off) does not change, the pinion gear however does change size. And there is a split for your carrier to accomidate for this (the carrier is what the ring gear bolts on to) for 3.73:1 and numerically lower (higher ratios) the carrier moves the ring gear farther away from the pinion to accomadate for it's size. And for 3.73:1 and numerically higher it does just the opposite to accomidate for pinoin size. As far as the outside of the case is concerned there will be no changes (drivelines, ect...) I hope all this makes sense, it is a bit confusing. But I think you'll get it.

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I forgot about that. i think i saw someone say there was a way to convert that so you can keep the 6 lug which is what i need since i just bought new wheels. thanks again
    nathan

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i didnt already know, but thank you for the politeness. it actually did make since too. I think swapping is the way to go, but i will have to convert it to 6 lug. i just dont like the eight. thanks for the tutorial.

nathan

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

No problem bro, if you need any other questions answerd let me know.