Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just wanting to know.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sho_shane, Jan 19, 2007.

1. sho_shane

sho_shane Registered Member

Ok guys im sure there has been topics on this so please dont rag on me to hard.

I was thinking about going with a standerd trans in my rig.
    My rig is a DD so I need to know what trans will be best for me. I will drive this truck every day. I will also hopefully be getting in some mud. Im not really in to the rock thing. But I love running in mud. So what trans do I need to be looking for?

Also:
    1.What all do I need for this swap? ( like what years for pedles and trans and so on)
    2. Are the pedles bolt up or what?
    3. Will it be easyer to run a linkage setup or hydro?
    5. Will the trans just bolt in?
    6. Will the trans bolt up to my NP203?

2. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Easiest manual swap would be a SM465, but if it was my daily driver, I'd look into a late model 5-speed to swap in, depending on difficulty. I like my TH700R4, so I don't have much to say about experience with a manual tranny in these fullsizes; I've only driven a manual in cars, mostly Camaros.

3. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

It's kind've a long process to do all of it. but not impossible. you need the pedal assembly (junkyard)linkage, tranny&bellhousing, flywheel, clutch pack, and either linkage or hydraulic assembly. and probably driveshafts from the donating truck.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

the best option for a dd would be nv4500 (not sure what the t-case is) because it's got the overdrive and since it's late model, it'll have the hydro clutch which is easier on your leg.

it's an easy swap. the easiest would be to pick up a 465/205 with mechanical clutch pedal, but this isn't too kind on your leg and has no overdrive. this is the set up i have and i love it. i wouldn't mind the 4500 w/ the hydro tho, that's for damn sure. guess i'd be getting mileage in the 20's with that! :D anyway...

hardest thing is cutting the hole in the floor in the right place for the clutch pedal rod to go thru. it won't bolt up to your 203, but the manuals came with either a 205 behind them, or the 208 depending on the year. someone can correct/add to this info as needed. the clutch pedal is bolt in, you just need a longer bolt for it to hang on, as it hangs on the same bolt as the brake pedal. driveshafts will need lengthening/shortening and to have the proper ujoint/cv joint to run with the particular t-case. that's all i can think of right now. really it's not so bad.

5. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

I agree w/the hole in th floorboard being the hardest part(2"hole IIRC)it's an easy swap.I had the help of two other people,though.each would tackle different aspects of the job and join forces when necessary;i.e.jacking trans./t-case into place,aligning everything,etc.started at 8am on Saturday and by dark only had interior,driveshaft(front)to bolt on.the rear had to be lengthened,from 64"to 67"@a cost of $150.that included new joints:1310@t-case,1350@rear axel(14bff)the work was done on my'84 LWB P/U.originally a 700R/208.swapped in was a 465/205.I had a complete donor truck,no junkyard shopping for oddball parts.good luck.oh yeah.approx.98%satisfied with the swap overall but it revs too high on the highway w/4.10 gears and 31-10.5-15's.IMO,in keeping that size tire,3.73's would be a better ratio.but the axels went in when I still had overdrive.

6. sho_shane

Man. Well I just want some better fuel mileage. And iv always got better with a stick than a auto. Would it be easer to go to 700R4? And would that give me better gas? Alsowould it hold up to getting raged on like my T350 can?:D

7. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

A TH700R4 would be very easy to swap in place of a TH350, and with a few parts, will handle more than your TH350 can. It will definitely give you better gas mileage too, thanks to it's overdrive gear, plus it accelerates nicely with it's low first. I like it a lot better than the TH350 in my K10.

8. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you go the route of 700r4 just make sure you do some research. The setup of the TV cable, Lock up and big fluid cooler is vital or you will burn it up fast.

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

im still lost on the "easier on your leg" part of the manual vs hydro swap... it isnt that tought... but like they say the nv4500 is a nice manual because it has the OD...

10. sho_shane

Ya I kinda agree with you Confedneck. I have big legs so its not hard on my leg at all :D

11. colbystephens

i don't think it's bad, but the hydro is clearly easier and thus easier on the leg. hell, i dd my mechanical clutch.

12. sho_shane

Man im just stuck on the idea of a stick in my truck. I assume that the 4 speed trans your guys are talking about. Is the one out of the 3/4 tons and 1 ton chevys right?

Other then getting my shafts redone, will the trans and transfercase bolt right in?

And will my pay at the pump be better with this trans then my TH350?

13. colbystephens

any of the manual trannies from 69-91 trucks will work just fine. probably others too,as i don't think the bell pattern really changed. the only drilling required is for the bolts that hold the tranny crossmember in place, but that's pretty simple.other wise it's a straight bolt in, w/ some cutting for the shift holes. its easiest to buy a complete set of t-case and tranny. i would suspect that your fuel mileage would increase just a hair, tho probably not particularly noticeably, assuming you drive the same on the throttle as with the auto trans.