Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just watched Santa Have a Heart Attack!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well a little off topic but had to share. I'll have to lecture myself later about this and move it to Non4x4.

Well gloomy day. Wanted to do some work on the rig. Wife had a dental appointment this morning so I watched my 10 month old.
    She gets home I decide to try to get what ever is on the windsheild of my Supra off. Wipers just smear and at night I can hardly see.
    So window cleaner isnt' cutting through this stuff. I figure I'll spray some brake cleaner on a paper towel and wipe down the window. As luck would have it I had used the last in the shop. Well I went for the can I have in the truck.
    It's drizling and as I step up onto the trailer hitch I think to myself " I really need to put that grip tape I have in the garage on this hitch and bumper before I step up on here with muddy shoes and bust my keister". So about thirty seconds later and letting a string of cuss words roll after busting my Keister, well shins.
    So after cussing for a few minutes I pull up my pants leg and I got me a pretty good little gash. So I walk and cuss my way into the house....The Lady dumps some hydrogen Peroxcide on it looks at is and say's "I see bone, go get some stiches". I stick some tissues in my sock and head off to Kaiser (HMO not hospital) about 4 miles down the road. I figure I got enough time to get my leg stiched or Dermabonded and I can still make it to my 9yr olds school to get her to her dental check up if they are quick about it. Wife calls ahead.
    I walk in tell them "I need my shin glued shut" and the woman at the counter says "all the doctors are at lunch". "Ohhh really so you folks don't rotate lunches so that hurt, sick and injured can be taken care of?" I said to the lady. "Let me have my card back and you can call the hospital and tell them on my way since there are no doctors here I guess your telling me your (Kaiser) footing the emergency room bill" I tell her. I know full well she will find me a doctor since it's a HMO and they don't like paying for emergency room visits. Sure enough they find a doctor and she hands me the paper work to drop in the box.
    As I walk over to the "box" at the far end of the room I pass this guy that is obviously a Santa durring the holliday. White REAL beard and all. So I grab a magazine off a table and Santa is pacing around and sounds short of breath.
    One of the nurses opens the door calls another paitent and Santa grabs her arm and says "I Need to see a doctor". She asks if he has checked in and the guy starts squeezing her arm and starts to collaps. She is quick on her feet and steers him backwards into a chair and starts yelling for help call 911 and get a doctor.
    Santa is looking real bad.... about 3 doctors show up and a couple of nurses and run us all off.
    Really woke me up this morning. I'm all worried about my kid making a doctors and then I see this.
    My cholesterol is up. I have heart issues in my family. Doc is telling me if it doesn't come down they are putting me on meds so I have changed my diet and trying to loose a few pounds. Honest I have, lost 6lb in the last month. Another 8 and I'll be under 200lb.
    While I sat there waiting for them to call me I kind of reflected on how fragile life is. I know what my New Years resolution is going to be after seeing this. I plan to be around to make my daugters lives miserable in my old age and to see my grand kids. Something my father missed when he didn't take care of himself and passed at 46 (15yrs ago).
    Take care of yourself. Don't let things creep up on you.

Damn.......hope Santa is going to be ok.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Wow! Ya, Grimmy...take care of yourself!

My brother is diabetic so I have to watch my sweet tooth. Then, also my mother had cancer so I have to eat right and watch out for that too! Good post Grim!

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Don't wait for New Years to make that resolution, Grim. Remember, tomorrow never comes.

At 27 years of age, I went to the doctor with 160/90 BP. He said I needed to do something about it or else I would have a heart attack before I was 30 y/o. Well, I said (typical MAN fashion) I can take care of it. At 29, I went back in and had an EKG. I hadn't been feeling quite right. Turns out I had had a mild heart attack. My blood pressure at that point was 180/110. He put me on some medication and I decided things in my life had to change.

I changed my diet some; I wasn't overweight to start with. I started going to the gym on a regular basis. I left my high stress senior management job. I got a divorce. Now, two years later, I am proud to say that I am off my medication and routinely run 130/80 BP. I am healthier now than I have been since I was in high school.

Key to this is two things: one, don't delay to tomorrow what you can (should) start today; two, listen to your doctor and don't be so "manly".

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

grim, your post hit too close to home, and tx85 is right about doin it today, one day you wake up in the hospital and you dont know if you're gonna live or you're gonna die, then its too late and you got maybe 5-10 good years left, sad state of affairs there, i'm gonna drive that blazer all over them hills and trails that i once loved so much, before it gets much later!

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

August 18, 1997.....I know most of y'all have had a cramp in yer calf so bad ya can't stand up........Catch one of Those in yer heart like I did on that day.......I work outside, have always been active, (or so I thought) and am not overweight , ok, not overweight much.....I worked 70hr weeks for Months at a time, and even did my vacations in a hurry........Then I found myself rolling on the floor wimpering like an 8 year old girl waiting for the medics to find my house in the country.......took me a while to learn to slow down even after that.....I eat right, try to walk on a regular schedule, I cut way back on my hours at work, and I've learned to Not sweat the small stuff because it's All small stuff.........being hyperactive since childhood has been a problem, but I'm finally learning to slow down.........I was only 48 when all this happened.......if I had known I was gonna live this long, I woulda taken better care of myself when I was younger.......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

6. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Wow that's a pretty wild story. I'm 34 and at 27 I was diagnosed with high blood pressure myself. I started riding a mtn. bike to get into shape. It's now stuck with me and I ride to work about 8 months out of the year and my blood pressure is down to the normal range. I read in a bike mag. that converted calories burned while riding a bike to the number of calories in a gallon of gas.[​IMG] I get approximately 3000 miles per gallon on my bike. Helps to offset the 10mpg in the blazer during the winter.[​IMG]
    Here's a little trick for cleaning windows. Take a small amount of Cascade or other liquid dish washing detergent and a scrubbing sponge. Basically dip the sponge in the detergent and lightly scrub the window and rinse it off, be careful not to get it on the paint and it will come nice and clean. I had really bad water spots on my vega windows from being hit with the sprinkler (irigation water) all summer and the windows came spotlessly clean. I think it's the non-water spot sheeting action that stuff has that makes it work really well. Good luck.[​IMG]

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Glad I'm not the only "old fart" on here that hasn't exactly taken care of himself as well as he should. Too bad it takes something like that to wake us up. Mine was a thyroid that went haywire about two years ago. I lost 100 pounds (270 to 170) - but that was the best part. All the other stuff made me fee like I was 95 years old! Too bad I gained back 75% of what I lost (doc's said that would happen - damn!). Anyone have an electrocardiogram done? It's pretty humbling to see a "scope" of your heart beating right in front of your own eyes. They were trying to figure out why I had a heart rate of 160/min. (normal is around 70-75/min.) I'm just glad it "wasn't my heart". You don't realize how sweet those words can be!! Take care of yourselves so you can wheel till you drop!

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I agree, this is a good post Grim. One thing I noticed, you were concerned with others more than yourself. I mean, you were there to take care of your business, but you were thinking of others and their appointments. You are also concerned about a complete stranger - who just so happens to look like Santa. We need more people like you in the world. Hopefully Santa will bring you a set of shin guards for Christmas. Happy Holidays [​IMG]

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I'll have to admit, the beginning part of this post had me rolling [​IMG]...But damn. Thanks for the wake up call. This past month had been non stop not taking care of myself. Hope your shin heels and hope Santa makes out.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good post. Leave it here [​IMG]. This is exactly why I run 4X a week and watch everything I eat. My family history has high cholesterol..........no matter how much turkey I eat, miles I run or weights I lift I can't keep it down so I now take Lipitor. Had a physical two months ago, doc said everything is perfect except the cholesterol. Said no matter how great a shape I am in that cholesterol can kill me. Sorta got my attention.........got the prescription.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>