Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just welded up the D70.... **PICS**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, May 23, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Never welded up a rearend like this before, and I am not a very good welder, but I figured WTF, might as well do it, worst case scenerio is that I completely F it up so it doesn't work at all, or it breaks while I am wheelin' it... I guess you just roll the dice and see what happens! Welded it up w/ the little Hobart 135. Oh, and feel free to make fun of my welding capabilities!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is thru the small window in the carrier, very hard for me to get a good weld in there...
    [​IMG]

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Now brush it off and pile some more bead on top! If you're gonna do it like that, do it to the limit!

Are D70 locker fairly expensive then?

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Worst case is you take out your R&P at the same time that lets go.I dont think a 135 amp will give you the heat you need to do that job.

A Detroit might be $500+ now but...

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

gosh nobody stepped up and made fun of those booger welds /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif...lol..its not like they can bee seen after the cover is on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...it think you have released your inner mullet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thats pretty much what the crap inside my 14 bolt looks like...and its got a couple years on it..should be fine i think /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...it think you have released your inner mullet

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Looks as good as my welds. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I hope to someday have a welder! I also hope to have a 1 ton axle.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Now brush it off and pile some more bead on top! If you're gonna do it like that, do it to the limit!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, after the first spark is hurt anyway so go ahead and [darn] it up! Do it well enough that you know it will never break. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    gosh nobody stepped up and made fun of those booger welds /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif...lol..its not like they can bee seen after the cover is on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...it think you have released your inner mullet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thats pretty much what the crap inside my 14 bolt looks like...and its got a couple years on it..should be fine i think /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the JOE DIRT in me came out strong...! I also picked up a couple cans on that spray paint that you recommened at LOWES, 4.47 a can!

11. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

it might be good enough but if you were using that light of a welder you might want to pile on some more wire.
    the more you burn away on the thing the better off it will be and the longer it will last.

but atleast you got the right axle under that thing /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Those aren't pretty, but then again you have never seen mine /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

sure looks like its easier to weld up the 14Bolt. Pile it on.