Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just witnessed something that disturbed me and made me think.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Okiemuddog, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

First off the first person that calls me a tree hugger has had it.

I just made a trip to town for a pack of smokes and witnessed soemthing that disturbed me and made me think. As I was leaving C-store their was a sheriff car sitting down the street directing traffic, me being nosey went by. This is where the disturbing part starts, some had hit a dog and left him in the street paralyzed in the rain to die. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I do understand that animals do get hit by accident, but have we become such a harsh race that animals are now disposable and have no feelings. I was raised on a farm and am a hunter so I understand the concept of having to kill, but I was always taught to to do it as painless and with as little suffering as possible. Are we now the type of people that as long as we don't feel it things don't matter? I mean I am the type person that would go out my way to miss an animal in the road, unlike some people that would see how big of a splat they could make on the pavement, and will stop and get out to try to rescue an animal. I guess what disturbed me the most is the pesron who did this did not even bother to stop and try to help or call animal control and wait till they got there. I believe every living thing a painless and dignifying death, not laying in the street waiting for the next car to come along helplessly. I guess my main point is, the next time you hit an animal, at least take the time to get out and make sure they are dead or try your best to get help or make them comfortable. Put your self int he positionof the animal, how would you like to lay in the street in pain no way to move and waiting to die. Animals have feeling rather we like to admit it or not. If you hit your dog do they not cry in pain and come to you and ask for forgiveness? This should tell peolpe that they are intelligent and not just dumb servants for us. I believe at times that animals are smarter than we are, animals learn to live with thier surroundings, we on the other hand change the surroundings to how we want them, rather there are adverse effects or not.

I will be responding to all replies made.

LET THE FLAMIMG BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    LET THE FLAMIMG BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not a tree hugger, you're a dog hugger. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm with you 100% here!!!

A few years ago when my 2 dalmatians were pups, each got hit on their rear leg/hip. Both times were hit and run incidents.

My male got hit by the bumper of a semi-truck when he was only 10 months old. The impact shattered his hip socket, causing it to split like a tree branch. Surgery was out of the question since it would cost over $1700. The vet said he would live just fine, but have a limp due to arthritis. So today the dog limps around but can still run on it fine.
    The semi-driver never stopped what-so-ever. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Our female dog got hit out in the street in front of our home. I went outside after the wife heard some yelping and once outside, I looked out to the street to see her limping back to me. Her leg was up and totally limp and broke. It was a clean break thru her thigh bone. She laid down right beside me and I comforted her and hollered at the wife to get the car ready and went to the vets office.
    At the vets, they did surgery on her and installed 3 stainless rods thru the length of the thigh bone.
    She recovered and today walks and runs like she never got hit. She does have a scar from the operation though.
    Again, the driver who hit her never stopped, not even hearing any skidding in the street or anything. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

All in all, both dogs getting hit cost us almost $2000 in vet bills. And the drivers have never been caught, seen nor apprehended. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

This is another reason for as long as we are living in town, we will not have anymore dogs when one or both of our current dogs pass away. We will be waiting for our next home which we plan to build in the country. Once a new home is in the country, the dogs will be free forever to roam. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree with most everything you said. Only part where we might part ways is that I absolutely refuse to swerve to dodge an animal in the street. I will hit the brakes, but i wont swerve. why? well, the second that animal is in front of me and I have to make a decision... at that moment, the animals life in in danger. The *moment* i swerve, not only is the animals life in danger, but so is mine... as is the life of my friends/family who might be with me AND the other drivers/passangers lives who I am putting at risk by swerving around to miss the animal. IMO, thats just idiotic. Im not saying that you were saying "avoid the animal at ALL cost!" or anything... just tossing out my own view on the matter,

j

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I hit a year old yellow lab when it ran in front of me about 3 weeks ago...I was runnin' 70 with oncoming traffic, so swerving my C3500 Utility bed was out of the question...I turned around and went back to the house where this guy had been playing ball with his two boys (about 8 and 13)...since thye had seen it all, I had very little to explain...I carry thick plastic sheeting on my truck, which I gave them, and helped remove the dog from the side of the road...The Guy said he didn't put up an electric fence cause he didn't wanna Hurt the dog!! And they had already lost a couple dogs to traffic!! What a dumfuk...

I didn't stop so much for the dog since he was dead when I hit him...I stopped because it was the decent thing to do...if the dog had been in pain, hurtin' real bad, I would have either seen that it got help, or I would have killed it quick...

I don't think "tree hugger" is a label for someone just being compassionate toward another living thing...

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Our dog was hit as well about a year ago. She was gone for several days and we had no clue where she was. Somehow she made her way to a main road about a mile away and got hit, then made it all the way to a house in the back of a neighborhood off that road. Evidently she just showed up on their porch and would/could not move anymore. She was shaking badly and it was the middle of winter, so they just thought she was cold and lost. Only when they realized she couldn't walk that they knew she had been hit. Luckily, I work for a vet and was at work the day they found her. They saw her Rabies vacc. tag and called in with the serial number. It was pretty convenient that I was at work, because my parents weren't home, so they couldn't have been reached.

All in all, she ended up with a broken pelvis. The vet/boss told me she had probably gotten hit the day before. She recovered fine, but couldn't walk properly for several months and had to be kept in a cage the whole time as to not re-injure it. Because of this, she broke a couple teeth trying to chew her way out, as she's not used to being confined for very long. I realize the owner's not stopping didn't result in her situation being much worse, but it delayed us from finding her for too long, and it was only by luck or an act of God that the people found her and cared enough to do something.

Excuse the long post, I just felt like telling that story, and I'd also like to add this: As mentioned above, I worked as a vet assistant in high school and now that I'm in college I work there when I'm home for breaks. I've been there almost 3 years now and some of the animals I've seen come in absolutely break my heart AND outrage me at the same time. Not only illness and injury, but just overall neglect that some owners have for their pets. Abuse cases, neglect and starvation, and sometimes just general negligence not only cause bodily harm to animals, but it breaks their spirits as well. Not long ago, we had one case where a perfectly healthy 15 year old cat had to have it's front leg amputated. He broke it, but if the owners had followed the vet's instructions properly, it would have healed. But they were either too lazy or didn't care so it got badly infected and had to be amputated or else he would have died. Hell, the owners didn't even bring him in in the first place, their daughter came to visit and saw how bad of shape he was in and had to take him in herself. I could go on and on, but I doubt anyone's reading this far down, so I'll (try to) end it here. It just pisses me off to no end how some animals are treated. Owners who abuse/neglect their pets SHOULD have them taken away, but there are so few homes for unwanted animals as it is that this would result in simply way too many animals needing homes that are way too scarce.

Again, I apologize for the ridiculously long post, but this is a topic that burns very deeply for me. Nearly every paper I've had to write all through school has dealt with the topic of animal rights/care/homelessness. I could go on for days about it, and please don't accuse me of sitting back idly and SAYING something needs to be done, as I do all I can to help the cause. Sure I get paid to work at the vet, but that does not outweigh the satisfaction I get knowing I help save lives every day I work there. They're not human lives, granted, but lives nonetheless. What makes an animal's life so different and less valuable than a human's? We're both creatures of God and we both bleed the same blood. On the issue of swerving to miss an animal on the road, I must disagree with what is probably the majority. I always swirve to miss animals, even dirty old possums and squirrels, but not as readily as I do dogs and cats. You may say it's risking your life, which I agree, it is. But if that small risk can save another life, it's one I'm willing to take. Most of us would risk our life to save another human being, why should it be any different from saving another creature that lives and breathes just like we do?

If you read all this, thank you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jonathan

P.S. I'm going to go chop down a tree now so I don't get called any names /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I feel that every motorist has a "MORAL" obligation to stop and render help if they hit a dog or any other animal for that matter. However, at least in CA, you also have a LEGAL responsiblilty to stop and render service if you hit an animal.

But if you hit a tree, yer stopped already anyways and the tree will most likely survive. You may not... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But if you hit a tree, yer stopped already anyways and the tree will most likely survive. You may not...

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if ya hit a tree on MY property since I busted my azz diggin' a fawkin' hole to plant the damn thing in...And I paid too dang much for it anyways..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I agree with you. About 4 years ago I hit a deer. The poor thing was still flopping around. Both hind leg's was broken. I was on a back hwy., out in the middle of nowhere. Sence the 9mm was in the trunk (In a lockbox), I put the poor animal out of it's misery.

10. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

A couple of years back, my mom hit a dog that ran out in front of her. She stopped and went back but the dog had gotten up and hobbled away on its own. So, off my mom goes knocking on doors to try to find out whose dog it was because she wanted to let the people know their dog was injured and offer to pay the vet bill. She finally comes to this house and asks the people if they had a dog, blah blah and they said they did. Mom proceeds to tell them how she had accidentally hit it and that it was most likely going to need medical attention. The people just like shrugged their shoulders and told my mom not to worry about it. I guess they didn't even look concerned and didn't bother to go look for their dog either /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have pets /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Will i swerve for a dog NO!would i stop if i hit one YES.I have a freind that was driving and swerved a dog wich caused him to crash into a tree.luckily he was unscaved.Me that would have been one dead dog.What makes me mad is that people let their dogs and cats rome the neighbor hoods and then wonder why fido is getting scraped off the road.But i do agree that people should stop and at least call whoever you call to clean it up and dispose of it.

12. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I also won't call you a tree-hugger. I would also have stopped. I also don't have any sympathy for people who won't tie/fence their dog up, or tie it into the back of a truck, and then have it get hit. Someone I knew lost a dog because he jumped out of the back of a truck, what a moron, the dog didn't know better, but stupid owner should have. I felt bad for the dog though.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I watched a moron run an injured coyote down on the I5 in CA a couple weeks ago.
    it looked as though he had been hit and was sitting full upright on the slow lane, wounded.
    it was just after sun-up and I could see him for a long way so I moved to the fast lane way before I came to him.
    the next car, many truck lengths back, simply drove into him dead centre.
    I guarrantee there was good damage to the moron's car, and hope that the 'yote was released from pain quickly.

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think that there is an obligation for the Dog owner to keep the dog out of the street. Then there would be less of a problem. We keep our kids out of the street.

Another thing that really pisses me off is people that have their dog in the open back on the freeway. I have seen a few dogs go over the tailgates and the owners just keep on going. I have paid for several dogs to be put to sleep that I have picked up on the freeway.

I think that if a dog gets hit on the road. The owner should pay a fine.

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We keep our kids out of the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so here in CA. The kids do all they can to impede traffic by walking right down the middle of the street 4 or 5 abreast. Sometimes I just want to run em down. I don't of course but I would like to meet some of thier parents and maybe blacken a few eyes... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I said I would reply, so I am keeping up my promise. I am glad to see that there are people out there that care for animals of all types. I do agree that owners have a responsibility to keep their animals out of harms way, but remember that dogs can be great escape artists. A lot people don't realize what their dog is doing while they aren't watching, mine is the biggest thief there is. She has stolen my wiring diagrams and shreded them more than once. I still believe people should have there animals spayed or neutered, that would cut down on a lot of abandoned animals. Everyone that has responded to this I would like to send out a thank you for restoring my faith that there are good people still out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

This post upset me, mostly because it is sad that we can be that way, that really sucks and I mean it when I say it made me sad to think about that happening to any thing be it animal or human. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Poop dog had to deal with the pain and missery..not right.