Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just wondering; cv joint; diesels; gm designers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, Aug 16, 2002.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Slow day at work today so I was wondering

1. Why don't they use a cv joint from IFS front wheel ( Rappeza style?) on drive shafts? Are they too inefficient? Do they heat up and/or wear quickly if operated at the same angle for long periods of time? Is the drive shaft rpm too high for them?

2. Is a diesel good for rock crawling? Low rpm high torque sounds like a good thing.

3. What the hell is wrong with the Gm designers? Avalanche; good idea but WTF with all the plastic crap on the outside? Do the younger generations really like all that crap? The new trucks are pretty lame too. And the Astek; didn't they show the thing to anybody before building something so fugly and why are they still building them? I picture a bunch of guys locked in a room, pumping each other up, totally out of touch with reality ("yea, yea that looks great, lets push it a little further"). The least they could do is offer the avalanche without the plastic crap and some normal looking wheel openings. Oh yea, whats with all the round rice rocket tail lights coming stock on everything? The $80,000 Land Rover at Paragon last weekend had em and it just looked stupid.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is a diesel good for rock crawling? Low rpm high torque sounds like a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so...I'm keeping my eyes open for a 6.2 'donor'./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

As for the GM designers...I think they all watched too many Pokemon cartoons when they were kids.

Rene

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

1. Later style Army 5 Tons (M939 series) went to CV joints up front, originally they had u-jnts. "Supposed to" reduce front end &amp; tire wear.

2. I don't rock crawl (not like you west coast boys) but the diesel's got my vote.

3. I 'm not sure where the hell GM styling is going (must be sign of age). But I can handle the Aztec quirky style better than these silly looking ricer tailights. Makes everything look like one of the little kiddy rides at a carnival. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

4. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I bored too, killing time online so good post. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1. I've wondered about the cv thing a lot. Those (real) cv joints actually are much more effecient and by design they work at greater angles than a universal. They are a much more complicated design though, which is probably why no-one has adapted them to driveshaft use yet. Plus I think they are used pretty much exclusively in FWD cars and newer IFS 4x4s so maybe they just don't manufacture a version that is large enough to use in a driveshaft application? The design would be ideal though for off road and extreme angles.

2. Don't know a thing about diesels but they sound like a good idea, especially when I'm filling up at the gas station. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. What is wrong with the world??? People in general are lemmings. Kids learn at a young age to want and buy what someone else has decided is "good". It's the same thing with body art, dress styles, clothing trends, etc. They claim they are trying to be "different" but in reality they are just trying to blend in with their own social group. They are different from their parents but that's about it. I'm a firm believer that function dictates beauty, but watch TV for 10 minutes and you'll find that no-one else does. We are trained (brainwashed) from a young age what is attractive in people, cars, lifestyle, etc. Advertising is EVERYWEHRE and is constantly trying to convince us to desire whatever they are offering whether it be for our benefit or not. I don't think it is reflective of just the car designers but really of society as a whole. They are just building what "we" want to buy and finding new ways of selling us less and charging us more. That is why I like this board. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It's full of people who find beauty in bulky, old, simple, overbuilt, non-effecient, function dictates form, hunks of metal trucks instead of new, flashy, overpriced, minimalistic, underpowered, complicated, disposable, form dictates function, plastic little cars. In addition we actually "enjoy" working on our trucks with our own hands, learning everything we can about them, and then using them to get out and see parts of the country on our own that the majority of the population will never see. And they think we're the crazy ones. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

The front outer cv joints from the ifs trucks should be able to take the torque, since they see more torque than the drive shaft now (they are after the ring and pinion, typically 3:1 or more increase in torque). I don't know how to find out if they can handle the 3+ times more rpm than what they see at the wheel. I was going to get a half shaft from a junker and try to make one, just no time.

Seeing the CUCV's on the auction sites made me think of the diesels and if it would be worth bidding on one of em.

Thanks guys I figured I wasn't the only one that didn't get the new trends.

6. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Rock crawling just catching down here now and as aussies have always lent towards diesels for 4x4's, GM diesels are hot f$%^ing property when chasing more low down torque (biggest local diesel is a toyota 4.2). Most 4x4's being built up here for serious competition has a GM 6.5 or 6.2 fitted. I'd have one too but its cheaper for me to fly to the US, buy a runner and ship it home than to buy an import..hang on what a idea! When is blazer bash again? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

The least they could do is offer the avalanche without the plastic crap and some normal looking wheel openings.

[/ QUOTE ] They do its the caddy version.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well i can answer questions #3. The crappy cladding had to do with the former head guy at GM, apparently he loved the junk. But the new guy hates it, so he is getting rid of most of the cladding off of the avalanche, and my dad saw a photo and he said it looks awesome. Those "euro-lights" as everyone calls em are just plane stupid, but i geuss its what everyone suposidly likes. They look alright on the cars designed with em (like the new nissan altima), not trucks, but other than that they are just down right fugly.

9. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

Most 4x4's being built up here for serious competition has a GM 6.5 or 6.2 fitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

COOL! i am moving down there /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif