Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just wondering...God and Dinosaurs...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Confedneck79K30, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

DISCLAIMER!! If you are a religious fanatic or are easily offended when someone asks for information regarding your faith, this is not meant to offend anyone at all, if it does offend you, click the X, please.:D This post is purely informational for my own curiosity, ya know what they say about curiosity and if yer lucky, i may become feline today... lol

I have a question and it is not meant to start any arguments or religious bickering, but for those of you who have a faith in organized religion, how does your faith view dinosaurs, i was in the shower today and thought to myself, i wonder how religious people vary their beliefs based upon animals or "Beasts" that are believed to have lived millions of years ago, when most religions are based around a timeline (now correct me if im wrong and i very well may be) of about 2800 years or so, correct? So with that said, Catholics, Christians, Jews, Jehovas Witnesses, Baptists, etc, how do you view the existance of dinosaurs?

thanks for your time
    and

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!, Happy Chanukka, Happy Festivus for the Restivus, Happy New Year, Happy Kwanzaa, etc.... so on and so forth

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Sometimes you have to stop reading literally into a book and just believe, I guess.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

The bible specks of the world being created in 6 days. This is a cause of stumbling for some as they do not believe that the world in fact the universe could be created in such a short period of time. In the bible when it specks about God creating the earth, at the end of each creative “day” it would say there was night the end of a day. But on the last day the 7th day it did not state this, indicating that the 7th day was ongoing it had yet to end. So just as the 7th day was/is longer that a single sunrise and sunset the other 6days were longer as well.

You could think of it as some one would say: “back in my grandfather’s day…”

You would not be indicating a single day but a period in time. Like the creative days indicate a long period in time, the earth was created a long time ago and the animals on it then. Much later God created man about 5000 years ago.

Others do not believe this, and simple ignore the existence of dinosaurs.

That is just a brief rundown if you would like more info, with some references let me know and I will get them for you.

Dave

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

X2 thats the way ive heard it described. Im not religous at all but thats the way its been explained to me. A day, isnt a day, rather a period of time.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

As far as my catholic school went...dinosaurs were left out, totally. No mention in the bible, not taught in religion class. No one should doubt they existed. In the Bible, there are lots of gaps in things. A lot of the stories have no time put to them. Some people also lived up to 800 years, according to the Bible in some areas. I'd probably tally that up to a translation issue, but the Bible does not have a set timeline for how long we've been on this earth, besides the 2006 years ago that Jesus was born.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no your right the bible dose not give any date to how long, as far as i know it is ABOUT 5030 ish years. just from adding all the ages and reains of kings ect you can get a figgure, but then again, i have hurd the same done and added up to 12 000 years.

but it is no matter how long changes nothing

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I used to work with a guy who was borderline-crazy and very religious, and claimed that the whole "dinosaur thing" was invented by scientists who wanted to discredit the teachings of the Church. :surepal:

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

lol

yeah you get to hear some good ones.

i once met a guy who totaly beleved we were living in side a persons body....

you know how an atom looks right? with the elctrons swirling around the center? sota like the solar system right?

so our solar system in actualy and atom in the univers that is some guys body............

but dont get too worryed he also belived that we could just exest in an other guys dream, and that one day he will wake up and we will all die:screwy::screwy:

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Here is how I feel about the whole situation.
    Those people back then thought the world was flat. They looked at slavery as something normal had no clue of other peoples of the world. Therefore in my book they were a bunch of misguided uneducated followers who only lived on a small sliver of land. Yet they wrote this book that is supposed to be all knowing:surepal:

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Neat Question..

When I was a kid, I was fascinated with dinosaurs, and the fossil record would indicate they were real..also, I've read in some archeological - type publications, that sea shells have been found on the highest mountain peaks, and that tells me that a great flood happened at some point...

so, in my little world, dinosaurs and the bible peacefully co -exist.. I've never researched the question, I still think the triceratops was the coolest of the dinosaurs, so I'd probably tell some pastor to STFU if he made a sermon about how they weren't real. IMHO, there's more important stuff for him to be talking about, and honestly, no church I've been a part of has had much to say about them..

Tom

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Tom are you dismissing the chance that those sea shells could have been put the due to a large shift in the earths tectonic plates. Or the possibility of a large object hitting the earth and displacing the sea??????

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

or, that over thousands of years, the mountain got taller, as mountains do.

13. Can Can

Oh goody. A religious debate, and on Christmas Day.........:shame:

Can we maybe leave this one alone until tomorrow? Think of it as a present to me from all of you.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

This is science fockchop.......science I tell you:D

15. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Corey & Surpip..

I'm not dismissing anything really.. I know that tectonic plate shift is responsible for lots of things, and one could assume that tectonic activity pushed once water covered land upwards, making mountains with seashells on top..but then that leads us back to the question, how much water was there to begin with, and why was it there? a great flood? melting glaciers?

who knows?

Tom

16. Can Can

Probably from the brow of a Moderator somewhere.........:rotfl: :rotfl:

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

There ya go, the perfect answer, lets just leave it at that.. :laugh:

18. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

this is the way I got it figured ;
    Caviat: This information is mostly my supposition, based on what I have learned at a very sacred place for my religion.

When the earth was created, (about 10 - 12 thousand years ago, see timeline set forthby someone else in this thread) Matter was brought together from the far reaches of the universe,then water was made to cover the low spots, then light was made to differentiate night from day, then beasts of all kinds were made to populate the earth with all manner of life. But, no man existed at this point. Man was made at about the 6000years ago point, and the rest is written history.

Now back to when Matter was brought together. this I feel was where all this dinosaur business came from. they were never "really" on this planet, but their remains are left in the rock that was "brought together".

All the different species of "man" that we see IE; cromagnon, homoerectus and such were from my point of veiw some kind of experiment, if you will, once again not necessarly on this planet.

all this is some of my personal point of veiw, and I have had to make a few rather large suppositions. but I stand by it.

this is nothing more than my particular beliefs, which of course may be modified as more information is brought to me.

In other words: screw you and your flaming!

19. Can Can

WHEW!!!! You must be about 14 feet tall after doing all that stretching.........:rotfl: :rotfl:

Those are some pretty controversial views, Matty, and I suspect you're gonna get a lot of feedback from your reply. To avoid having a flame-out on Christmas Day, I'm gonna lock this one up and re-open it first thing tomorrow morning.

20. Can Can

*DING DING DING*

Have at 'er, lads............