Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Wondering...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Apr 16, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

the front springs on my burb are arched up. My question is, how much height would rear 52" springs give if swapped in instead of 4" lift springs.

I have a 4" shackle flip for the rear, could this be done for the front somehow. I see alot of BUILT rigs with shackle hangers at the very end of the front of the frame for better approach angle (I guess that is what it is for) but not sure what the springs attach to on the back side of the spring. It couldn't be another set of shackles could it?

I don't know. Just been thinking.

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

www.blackwidowperformance.com has some longer shackles for the front but they only go up to giving you an extra 1 5/8" of lift. Thats about as much lift as I've been able to find just going straight shackles and not changing anything else.

3. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I might just be mistakin but I think that my front springs have the arch pointed up and my rear springs arch point down. If no other changes were made, wouldn't the rear spring conversion net SOME arch since they are arched in oppisite directions?

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

The 52s will give you about 4" up front. You have a good base to do this swap if you are 4" in the back all ready.

5. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Would this just be a straight bolt on mod? The research I have done I would need some thick 1/4" washers to make up the width difference between the front and rear springs.

Would this be a better mod than the 4" tuff country HD springs sitting in my living room? Would they hold up with the heavy bumper and winch better than the TC? Which would have better articulation/ ride comfort?

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

http://coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml

Front 52"s are not an afternoon swap the way regular sized springs are, no. At the very least you'll need crossover, plus likely a new front driveshaft, as you'll be moving the front axle forward a coupla inches. Oh yeah and you'll lose your sway bar.

The condition of the 52"s would determine how they ride. I ended up mixing and matching leaves from two sets to make mine, with five leaves. Flexes like mad, which if you're just into mud is of little consequence, and makes road manners ... more exciting ;)

Note that since the tech article was written, various vendors (DIY4x and ORD come to mind) have come out with parts to make it simpler:

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/FUSH.html

http://www.diy4x.com/suspension.htm

(look for "front shackle frame eye hanger", and the "B-52".)

-- A