Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Wondering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by balazerjake86, Nov 25, 2002.

1. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

has anyone ever used a spray on bedliner to go over the entire outside of the truck? if so what are the pros and cons and do you have a pic? thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A few people have done this. Elkboy did it to an 89 (??) I believe. He used Red Herculiner and I thought it turned out pretty good. A few others have also done the same but I can't think of where the pic's would be. Maybe someone has some pic's saved.

Rene

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got herculiner on my rocker panels.
    Pros: Looks good, flat black (well...sort of...read below), and very tough.
    Cons: It's very rough and bumpy. Herculiner will fade from black to gray because of the UV rays of the sun.

Personally, I think the whole vehicle done would look a little odd. Cool, but odd. I bet a colored Rhino-lining (like red) would look really cool. (Also with that you'd get a more even/consistent look)

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

It's a really crappy pic, but the last one in my webshots was taken at some point after I put the herculiner on my rockers/lower door panels (everything below trim piece). Really can't see much, other than the fact that it doesn't reflect anything.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I've wheeled with a guy here that has his International done in two tone blue Speedliner. From ten feet away it looks like regular paint. I don't have a close up pic, but it looks good. It's inspired me to do it. I also have a buddy that has his 'burb Herculinered. He put a black rattle can topcoat on that actually mixed with the Herculiner and it hasn't faded in 2+ years.

John

6. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

I really dont care if it fades in a couple fo years it is my toy but iwas just wondering if it could be done and if i can do it or do i need a painter to do it and how much does that s**t costa gallon? i just hate lookin at all those scrathes on the almost faded black.

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Herculiner runs $100 a gallon. I am pretty sure all you have to do is scuff up the surface, clean and apply. I would assume the stuff comes with directions. Don't know how much you'll need.

John

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Hey all... Just a note. I have been saving up to go the Durabak bedliner route. They have a bunch of colors available. Red, Blue, Grey, Black, Yellow, etc... and I am 99% sure that they will mix a special color for you if you ask them to. I have sent them a few oddball questions and they have responded very quickly and professionally. I Used the Hurculiner throughout the entire interior of my K5 and it was the best thing I could have done... now after I go mudding I can hose out the inside and the outside. The Herculiner & Durabak both "guarantee" water tight and no rust...

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

there was some guy on here that had his whole truck sprayed for 600.00 ??? inside and out and it looked good. he did it in oarnge. check your local shops for qoutes. the local here said 800 if i stripped the seats and the top was off. he said he would guarantee it just like a truck bed amnd fix any problems i ever had. he told me 700 if i would take out the windows and put em back in.

my .02 nathan