Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just yanked the rear end yesterday......Questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just pulled the rear 12 bolt out of my truck in preperation for the new one. I have a set of stock springs with an add-a-leaf in the garage. Since my truck has the infamous butt drag....Ya'all think I should swap out the stock springs I have for the ones with the add-a-leaf? I know it will make it stiffer...Just wanted to get some input on the subject from the guys here.
    If your curious why I am switchin diff's, check the link in my sig. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Order U8001 from Offroad Design. It is a 1" zero rate add a leaf. It will give you 1" of rear lift, and it will not effect the ride. Its only like $30 + shipping. I got that and the HD shackles shipped to my door for $10. So your looking at $35-40 and a no stiffer ride.

3. Zeus33rd

Hmmm......Is there pic of this zero rate thing somewhere? I'd be willin to bet I could make one easier than ordering one.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The ORD add a leaf is basically a 1" thick spring that is cut down to about 5-6". So if you have an extra set of overloads around then you just cut them down till they about as long as the spring pads, and get a new set of spring pins that are longer.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, you can make them yourself.

Get some solid steel stock, 2.5" wide and 1" thick. Cut them to 5" long and drill the hole in the center for your center pin. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Hmm, Now that I know this, I'll just pull the overloads out of the springs in the garage cut them down and add them to my stock springs I have on the truck. Already have a new set of center pins still in the package, so that'll work out great. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif