Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K-10 to K-5 steering box fit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Nov 9, 2004.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 75 K-5 has a huge amount of play and I have two junked K-10s for parts. Will the steering box off one of them (both are 1982)fit my 75 K-5. Neither have over 100,000 miles or had much play in the steering.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It will bolt on , but the older hoses won't fit the box I believe . Use the donor trucks lines and pump if you have them /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. dontoe

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gifWOW /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif..........that was fast. Yea everything is there. Kewl.....Any tips before I get to work on it tomorrow? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You can swap the "bung" nut in the back of the power steering pump to match up the later hoses,rather than swappimg the whole pump in if that is easier for you--somrtimes you cant get at it without removing the pump anyway though .The hoses went to metric o-ring fittings after 1979 or 80,before that they used a standard SAE flare fitting. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Almost forgot--you might find the splines on the steering colum side of the box are different than yours,so you might have to use the "rag joint" thing to the steering colum shaft from the truck the box is from.Dont ask how I know this! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. dontoe

How do you know about the splines being different? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Oh yea, you said don't ask. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif