Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K-10 Turn good to right not left

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TJS, Jan 10, 2002.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Ok I got this truck a month or so ago. It had a lot of probs which I have been fixing. The one thing is that I am not sure on is that it turns nice and sharp to the right but not the left. To get into the parking garage where I work (left turn) I have to stop and back up and turn left again. It has a 4" lift on it and
    the higher steering arm. The drag link is not level though. The front part of the draglink at the pitman arm sits a tiny bit lower than at the back part of the drag link. My thoughts are to adjust the steering is to take in at the adjustment at the drag link. Any thoughts here on what I should do. I also have a stock steering arm for this truck, should I change that as well or try the adjustment first. I am pissing people off behind me in the parking garage and I want to cure this ASAP.
    Thanks for all the help.
    T.J.

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

T.J.

You just need to adjust the draglink between the steering arm and the steering box. Here is what I would recommend. Jack up the front of the truck and put it on jackstands and remove the left front tire. Make sure the front is completely off the ground before trying to steer it. Chances are, it is hitting the right stop alot, and not contacting the left stop at all. You need to first center the steering box. Do this by disconnecting the steering draglink and from either the steering arm or the pitman arm. Only one side needs removed for adjustment. I reccomend removing it from the pitman for this next step. Steer the box full to the left until the box stops turning. Next count the revolutions of the wheel while turning right. Divide this number in half and you should be centered. You could also check the pitman arm location, it should be 90 degrees from your frame. Next, center your steering on the front axle. You can move it by hand. Just get it eyeball close. Next adjust the steering arm by loosening the pinch clamps and then threading it out or in, whichever yours requires. I believe mine needed lengthened when I did this a while back.

I have since installed Crossover Steering, but used this same idea to center it. Hope this helps.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

3. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. However, I failed to also tell you that I had someone weld the frame crack brace in a while ago and they had to take the box off to do this. Could they have put the box on where the steering shaft comes into the box let's say 90 degrees off. The reason I say this is that the steering wheel is like 90 degrees off as well. Or can the joint that attached to the box from the steering column shaft only go on one way (polorized). If not polorized should I check it there first. Your explaination is great by the way. I hope I can do this. I am pretty sure I can. Then when I get it close I think I will take the truck to get the front end aligned.
    Thanks again. The internet is so powerful with the knowledge that is out there.
    T.J.